MAG Age Groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Does anyone know what the age groups are now? They seemed a little different last night than last year so I am wonderign if they changed or if the meet just chose to do them differently.

In my experience, age groups vary by meet depending on entries. I always try to keep approximately the same number of girls each age group for each level.

I know they didn't do that, just based on the number of aa given out. It doesn't seem like that is done as much with the boys as with the girls.
At level 6, the age groups, and awards given, were:
7-8 (top 3)
9-10 (top 12)
11 and up (top 4 I think)

So that tells me that they didn't do any break down based on trying to even numbers. I am thinking they used the USAG age ranges (the ones for state and regionals) but I am not sure.

I don't know if they changed, but were the groups really uneven size-wise? The only way the places going out to those numbers makes sense to me is if they did it as a percentage of the number of boys competing in each group (so a very small group of 7-8s, a small group of 11+s, and a huge group of 9-10s).

At our meets last year, if the boys were grouped together, the age ranges were always the same, but at some big meets they broke them out into smaller groups. So, to give an example, the youngest group was always either 6-7 YO or separate 6 and 7 awards at L4. I think for L5, it's 7-9 for the youngest group but they have the option of breaking it up so the younger guys have a shot at a medal. But for L6, having a separate group for 7-8 seems like it would be pretty darn small at most meets. I suppose it would have been more complicated, but for your meet, it would seem like breaking up the 9s and 10s would have made more sense.

I am assuming they were that uneven, since usually it is a percentage that receive awards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back