Parents How are age groups determined?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our coach has my son in level 3 age 9 for competitions, but he doesn't turn 9 until November of 2024. He just had his first competition where he was 7yo competing in the 9yo age group. Coach explained that age groups are determined by how old they are December 31 2024, but that doesn't jive with anything I have read. He barely missed gold in all around at 9yo, and would have crushed everyone in all around at 8yo. A couple of questions:

- Is our coach correct on how the age groups are determined? If not can you confirm how the age groups are sorted?
- If I am correct and he should be an 8yo, does it even matter seeing that he was very competitive at 9yo? Should I just drop it?

Yes . Since the bulk of the competition season is Jan- May 2024, gymnasts compete the age they will be as of 12/31/24. So they compete against all the gymnast born the same year they were born (easier way to look at it).

So if he were born in 2015 (didn't do math..just a number), he would be competing against all the kids born in 2015. So they are not that far apart in age, just within the same year.

Hope that helps!

According to the Junior Development Program Manual:
C. Athlete Age Based on Birth Year: For all levels of competition, an athlete’s competitive age will be defined by the year in which he is born. The competitive season is defined by the year in which the championship for that competition program is held.
For example, if a championship at any level is held in the year 2024 regardless of what month it is held in, the athlete’s competitive age for that season or year is defined by his age as of December 31st of that year. For example, if an athlete was born in 2012 then his age for the 2024 season is 12 years old. Further, if the season’s competitions began in November of the previous year (i.e., 2023) but the championship for that season is held in 2024, the athlete’s age is his age as of the year 2024. Athletes whose competitive age is 6 years must reach their 5th birthday before they are allowed to compete in Level 3.

A child who is 8-years-old on 12/31/23 will be competition-age 9 during the 2024 season.
Kids with fall birthdays are always the youngest in their age-group.

Note: MAG snd WAG have totally different age determination systems.

I just want to say I like your username. My dad really related back in the day! He tried so hard but would end up asking how my yurchenkos on bars were going

I just want to say I like your username. My dad really related back in the day! He tried so hard but would end up asking how my yurchenkos on bars were going
My kid came home one day and told me she was doing hiccups on bars. I said "You're hiccuping on bars??" and she rolled her eyes and said "No mom! I'm doing HICCUPS on bars!!" Like that cleared it up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back