Parents Ages, hours, Pre-team and TOPS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At 5 my DD did 3 weekly 90 minute sessions, in a "hot shots" program combining shapes, TOPS skills (no testing) and old Level 5 skills. gym skipped old 4/new 3. Moved from that at almost 7 to team, and only then started 4 hour practices, initially once a week but up to 3 times within a month or 2...stayed that schedule until next level at age 9...up to 20 hours a week as a 9/10 year old L7.

Even with the slow build up, it still took a toll on her and even before her coaching situation fell apart she was a little burnt out at 11...still loved gym but no longer "always wanting more"...now with bad coaching and social issues no longer wanting any...I feel her hours were very appropriately slowly increased - she was kept in the rec program beyond when she skillwise could have moved up, until her age was appriate..and she always enjoyed ALL of her gym time at that age...

I suspect that there are a few kids that will make college/elite gym with high hours and might not otherwise, but I doubt its true for most. From a developmental perspective, 4 hours a day at age 5 AFTER school...not healthy! That's just my pediatrician side speaking, but I don't think its app. for long term health in gymnastics, either.

One of the most experienced coaches we know personally (elite gymnast, elite level coach, international champions, greater than 20 years experience, you get the picture) says its a 10 year project producing a high level female gymnast (12+ for boys) - and if the initial steps aren't done carefully, with the kids emotional state, trust and fun as well as basics, basics, basics in mind you never make it to the finish line.
If TOPS is fun and she doesn't need the rec class to enjoy gym, then I'd clarify with the coaching staff what the long term road for her to team is...if by doing TOPS she's on that path, then limit her hours for now and let her be a kid who does gymnastics, not a 5 year old Gymnast!

I agree with questioning the high hours some of these places do at young ages. My dd's old level 5 team trained 9 hours a week and they won states regularly. They went up to 12 for level 6, 16 for level 7 and didn't do 20 hours until level 8.

Sorry I meant 6 hours a week at level 3. This gym has it like this:

PRETEAM Level 1 -- 3 hours per week and no comps. 5-6 years.
PRETEAM Level 2 --4 hours per week and no comps 6-7 years old
Level 3 -- 6-8 years old preferred and minimal comps does 6 hours.

It accelerates from there. Sorry my last post was jumbled. It was late.

We are I'm a unique area though. Only 2 gyms even offer compulsory levels, and several gyms have abandoned JO completely. That means the 2 JO compulsory gyms look for younger girls. I know for a fact one of them turned away a level 6 11 year old a few years back because she was too old and had too many bad habits. She just wasn't worth the time it would take to coach her because her formative years were spent at another gym.

Sorry I meant 6 hours a week at level 3. This gym has it like this:

PRETEAM Level 1 -- 3 hours per week and no comps. 5-6 years.
PRETEAM Level 2 --4 hours per week and no comps 6-7 years old
Level 3 -- 6-8 years old preferred and minimal comps does 6 hours.

It accelerates from there. Sorry my last post was jumbled. It was late.

We are I'm a unique area though. Only 2 gyms even offer compulsory levels, and several gyms have abandoned JO completely. That means the 2 JO compulsory gyms look for younger girls. I know for a fact one of them turned away a level 6 11 year old a few years back because she was too old and had too many bad habits. She just wasn't worth the time it would take to coach her because her formative years were spent at another gym.

In our area, 6 hours is still far below average for Level 3s.

That is crazy that a gym deemed an 11 year old L6 too old when they have 8 year old L3s. At 1 level a year, do they really kick out those girls at L6 because they are too old?

To the OP, I agree with most that thst is too many hours for one so young and new to the sport. Keep 'em wanting more. DD is a 10 year old (gasp) L4 doing 12 hours a week, plus 1 hour of open gym. (And as for age, we live in Region 5 with several gyms coaching current Jr and Sr elites and DD will be right in the average age for L4 this season.) She is still wanting more and that extra hour is so great becauwe it gives her a chance to have fun and do whatever she wants - coaches will spot on higher level skills (within reason). That us how we keep it fun when they have so many hours of work in the gym.

In our area, 6 hours is still far below average for Level 3s.

That is crazy that a gym deemed an 11 year old L6 too old when they have 8 year old L3s. At 1 level a year, do they really kick out those girls at L6 because they are too old?

To the OP, I agree with most that thst is too many hours for one so young and new to the sport. Keep 'em wanting more. DD is a 10 year old (gasp) L4 doing 12 hours a week, plus 1 hour of open gym. (And as for age, we live in Region 5 with several gyms coaching current Jr and Sr elites and DD will be right in the average age for L4 this season.) She is still wanting more and that extra hour is so great becauwe it gives her a chance to have fun and do whatever she wants - coaches will spot on higher level skills (within reason). That us how we keep it fun when they have so many hours of work in the gym.

I may be slightly off on the L3 hours but L3 still only competes in like 3 local meets and I was going off what was overheard being said to another parent who was at L2 now. We are very new there and still a but far from L3.

This is Region 8 which isn't strong gym country. I'm reading in this thread that a lot of L1's do 5-6 hours a week so maybe it's just a region thing. I wish my sister would move but right now us just not the time. She won't rule it out, but she's in a good spot for now.

I couldn't believe they wouldn't take this girl either. She said they told her she'd have to do too much correcting on her form because her old gym wasn't as technically sound as the new one. She ended up staying with the old gym and going the cheer route. I think they might feel differently with athletes they trained to their standards though.

This is Region 8 which isn't strong gym country. I'm reading in this thread that a lot of L1's do 5-6 hours a week so maybe it's just a region thing. I wish my sister would move but right now us just not the time. She won't rule it out, but she's in a good spot for now.

I know. Region 8 too. I think that's why this area (and our area in particular) actually does spend so much time competing levels 1-3. I am just amazed at the stuff these very young kids are doing in other regions. Cannot believe it.

Region 1 here.

Level 2 - 9 hours - (Ages 6, 7 & 8 with a few older outliers)
Level 3 - 12 hours (Ages 8, 9 & 11 with a few older outliers)
Level 4 - 15 hours (Ages 10, 11 with a few older outliers)
Level 5, 6 & 7 - 19 hours (Ages 10, 11, 12, 13 with a few older outliers)

Don't know about 8, 9, 10.

Our gym doesn't have the highest amount of training hours in area. Many have more hours.

Region 8
Training Group - 4 hours (2x2 hours)
Level 2 - 9 hours (3x3 hours)
Level 3 - 12 hours (3x4 hours)
Level 4-6 - 15 hours (3x5 hours)
Level 7+ - 20 hours (4x5 hours)

I think we are on the higher end for the area, but not a ton more hours than other teams. My dd is a level 3 and they range in age from 7-9. My dd is 7 and does 3 4 hour practices a week and she handles it with no trouble. When I first heard 4 hours, I thought that was crazy, but she (all of them really) loves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back