Alex's Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Alex just got dowel grips. She is SOOOOO excited but 2 different coaches sized her and one said a 0 and the other said a 1. Well, she ended up getting the size 1 but she is complaining about the finger holes rubbing and that she feels the circulation is being cut off in her fingers. Is it the size grip that she has (hot shot buckle grips). Some of the other gymnasts have told her to put a large marker into the finger holes to sort of stretch them out but I want to be sure that that is the real issue and not the grip sizing altogether.

Have her bring them to her bar coach and ask for help. They should be able to stretch the fingerholes. (If the holes were not tight when she got them, I would say they grips were too big.) All kids have to stretch the finger holes a little, they should still be tight around her fingers bc they will stretch as she uses them.

I agree I always find new grips tight around the finger holes and have to stretch them a little...get her to check them with her coach...they know what they're talking about ;)

DONT PUT A MARKER IN THE HOLE, what you need to do, is take a little sand paper and go inside the finger whole and keep doing this untill they fit snuggly,
NEVER TRY TO STRETCH THE HOLES!

She should take them to her coach and have the coach make the holes larger. The grip companies suggest sandpaper, but we find that to be frustrating. My fellow UB coach invested in a fine, circular file which we use to sand away some of the leather until the holes fit properly (tight, but not cutting off circulation).

yes. that is the tool that most of us use. go to the coach, unless of course you are experienced doing so.

I use a nail file on my dd's grips if the finger holes don't feel right. I don't think it's a good idea to try to stretch them--they might end up ripping.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back