Aly over Laurie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I can't believe it.....she picked Aly, whom I think is fantastic, but I think Laurie had a better chance to really dazzle everybody.....

I have a bad feeling about this decision.

Laurie did not do well in podium training, whereas Aly shone. Aly threw her best Amanar ever. She is peaking. Laurie seems daunted by the pressure. But not sure if this is cause or effect. Laurie knew she would not be going for AA -- so her performance may have been impacted by that.

Despite all the criticism of Aly's bars, I think it was the right decision. Now the question is whether Gabby will hit it out of the park as she did at Worlds. I was unhappy to see the unconnected back tuck still in her floor routine, but I gotta say that from the bits and pieces of PT I saw, they all look amazing!

I watched podium training and the decision was very clear. Aly was on fire and turned in solid/amazing performances on all 4 events. She looked very confident and poised. Laurie struggled -- on bars especially, but a bit on other events as well. I'm sure this wasn't the result of me bad practice; the decision was made based on many factors, some of which we aren't privy to.

They are all amazing and I wish we could put up 5 on all events and let the chips fall where they may. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. I just hope they got all their nerves out and can go out on Sunday and all have a great day.

I'm really happy for Aly and wish her the absolute best. She's been so consistent, hopefully it continues!

If podium training had been scored, it would have gone - Simone, Aly, Gabi, Laurie. It really wouldn't have been close between Aly and Laurie. I am sure this is how it has been trending in training, Aly and Gabby are peaking right now.

I can't believe it.....she picked Aly, whom I think is fantastic, but I think Laurie had a better chance to really dazzle everybody.....

I have a bad feeling about this decision.
Did the rules change? Because I thought with Jordyn Weiber it was based on how they did during the team event?

Did the rules change? Because I thought with Jordyn Weiber it was based on how they did during the team event?
No, the rules didn't change. Teams, AA gymnasts and Event Finalists all "qualify" to the Finals based on their performance in the Qualification round (which is Sunday for the Women). In 2012, Jordyn, Aly & Gabby all competed AA in the qualification round. Aly and Gabby came out on top of Jordyn, so she didn't move on in the AA finals. This was a somewhat unexpected result. How Marta made the decision of who to compete AA in 2012 was less controversial and an easier decision due to Maroney's injury (limiting her to Vault) and Kyla Ross not being as strong of an AA at that time. There was little else that could have been done in that situation, so it made sense to put those 3 up as AA's -- we needed them.

In 2016, we have Simone and then 3 very strong AA Gymnasts right behind her. Picking 2 of those 3 was always going to break someone's heart, but Marta made the decision based on camp and training thus far in Rio. Which 2 of the 3 advance to AA Finals is up for grabs based on performance in the qualification round.

No, the rules didn't change. Teams, AA gymnasts and Event Finalists all "qualify" to the Finals based on their performance in the Qualification round (which is Sunday for the Women). In 2012, Jordyn, Aly & Gabby all competed AA in the qualification round. Aly and Gabby came out on top of Jordyn, so she didn't move on in the AA finals. This was a somewhat unexpected result. How Marta made the decision of who to compete AA in 2012 was less controversial and an easier decision due to Maroney's injury (limiting her to Vault) and Kyla Ross not being as strong of an AA at that time. There was little else that could have been done in that situation, so it made sense to put those 3 up as AA's -- we needed them.

In 2016, we have Simone and then 3 very strong AA Gymnasts right behind her. Picking 2 of those 3 was always going to break someone's heart, but Marta made the decision based on camp and training thus far in Rio. Which 2 of the 3 advance to AA Finals is up for grabs based on performance in the qualification round.

So is there still a chance Laurie could go for AA based on how she does on Sunday?

No, Gymmom. To be eligible for AA in individual finals, a gymnast must compete all four events in prelims, be in the top 24, and be one of the top two AA finishers from her country if more than two end up in the top 24.

Gymnastics is such a unique sport with its combination of team and individual competitions within the same competition, I know it can be frustrating. But in this case choosing which gymnast will go is somewhat comparable to relays in track and swimming. Teams will generally take 6 athletes on the Olympic team in the events corresponding to relays, to spread the load around for prelims and finals. Does the runner/swimmer that finished second at trials automatically get to run/swim in the finals/medal round? Or do you put the four athletes that have been the fastest leading up to the games in the final?

Despite all the criticism of Aly's bars, I think it was the right decision. Now the question is whether Gabby will hit it out of the park as she did at Worlds. I was unhappy to see the unconnected back tuck still in her floor routine, but I gotta say that from the bits and pieces of PT I saw, they all look amazing!
Got to admit I too still don't "get" that back tuck. Gabby's bars were amazing though. If podium training had been scored she would have scored higher than Madison.

Got to admit I too still don't "get" that back tuck. Gabby's bars were amazing though. If podium training had been scored she would have scored higher than Madison.

Now, Gabby is obviously very, very talented... But I always LOL in a joyous sort of way when I see that pass - it reminds me of my DD learning to connect skills to her RO-BHS in the early days (and my DS now). It always makes me smile a little. :)

Maybe it's looked more consistent over the past few weeks, and PT was just off again?

That back tuck, though... Unconnected, it's not even worth anything, is it? Are they keeping it in just in hopes that she *does* get the connection credit?

I love all these girls....I was just really hoping for Laurie to have a shot. I also hope Aly can keep her legs straight!!!!! And I hope gabby is having a good day......and I hope Simone has health.....and Madrid is awesome.....

From International Gymnast Magazine FB feed...

Latest from Rio:
The word is that US team member Laurie Hernandez has badly pulledhamstring. After yesterday’s podium training it was apparent that Hernandez was the one chosen not to do the all-around in the qualification round; hence, inhibiting her from a shot at the all-around final. Depending the severity of the injury now the question is if she will even compete or, will the US team chose to replace her with an alternate. Stay tuned for additional info on this subject!

:(:(:(:(

Now, Gabby is obviously very, very talented... But I always LOL in a joyous sort of way when I see that pass - it reminds me of my DD learning to connect skills to her RO-BHS in the early days (and my DS now). It always makes me smile a little. :)

Maybe it's looked more consistent over the past few weeks, and PT was just off again?

That back tuck, though... Unconnected, it's not even worth anything, is it? Are they keeping it in just in hopes that she *does* get the connection credit?
Connecting the A salto to the E tumbling pass would give her 0.2 bonus, so since she is obviously capable of always performing a standing back tuck with less than 0.2 deduction I guess it's worth the shot. Agree with you though, she does look like a little compulsory kids struggling with connecting her back tuck to her BHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back