Aly over Laurie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Must be hard for Simone in a way. When everyone acknowledges they're aren't even trying to beat you, you have to find a lot of internal motivation to keep pushing ahead.

She's a tough kid in more ways than one and we are privileged to get to witness her greatness in real time. Off the topic digression again, but had to say it.

I think that Simone competes against herself. She does not need any external motivation.

It still makes me sad for Laurie, as she was 2nd both nights of Olympic Trials....they really need to rename the 'trials' and just call it what it is...

I'm sad for her too but lineups for USA gymnastics are always determined at the last possible date. "Trials" last for a few months. No, that's not stressful at all!

USA Gymnastics posted the order for Sunday on fb.

The U.S. women's lineup for Sunday:
FX: Douglas, Hernandez, Biles, Raisman
VT: Hernandez, Douglas, Raisman, Biles
UB: Raisman, Biles, Douglas, Kocian
BB: Douglas, Raisman, Hernandez, Biles

@bogwoppit Someone said it's because of the order of events. Starting on floor with vault right after Simone needs the extra time since she has the two vaults to perform. Not sure if that's true or just speculation, but I remember reading that during the podium training.

When we were at trials, we were the minority of the ticket holders who got their early to watch the warmups...most people were either in line to get in, in line to get autographs, or in line to get apparel. The stadium seriously didn't have many peeps in it. The warmups were incredibly enlightening. Laurie really struggled on her bars in warmup in terms of catching the tchev (forgive my lameness on how it is spelled). It got to where warmups on bars for her group were coming to an end, and she still hadn't caught it. She finally got it on her last rotation through....but because of the warmup struggles, I assume this is why her coach had her taketh third one out of her routine. So while bars can be an amazing event for Laurie, perhaps she experienced some challenges with it in the camp prior to Rio? We Wil probably never know, but it is just an idea. I will admit I was a complete wreck watching her bars because of how her warmup was...I felt like barfing. She is such an incredible athlete, and my daughter's favorite. We do wish she had been given the opportunity, but I am sure there was and is a good reason for the choice that was made. Go team USA!

When we were at trials, we were the minority of the ticket holders who got their early to watch the warmups...most people were either in line to get in, in line to get autographs, or in line to get apparel. The stadium seriously didn't have many peeps in it. The warmups were incredibly enlightening. Laurie really struggled on her bars in warmup in terms of catching the tchev (forgive my lameness on how it is spelled). It got to where warmups on bars for her group were coming to an end, and she still hadn't caught it. She finally got it on her last rotation through....but because of the warmup struggles, I assume this is why her coach had her taketh third one out of her routine. So while bars can be an amazing event for Laurie, perhaps she experienced some challenges with it in the camp prior to Rio? We Wil probably never know, but it is just an idea. I will admit I was a complete wreck watching her bars because of how her warmup was...I felt like barfing. She is such an incredible athlete, and my daughter's favorite. We do wish she had been given the opportunity, but I am sure there was and is a good reason for the choice that was made. Go team USA!

She must have also done that in the timed warm up, because I definitely wasn't in there early and recalling her landing in her stomach on a release. Vault is also an issue which is TOTALLY understandable due to her very very serious injury (seriously, she has donor tissue in her knee) but still. I've been surprised at how many people I know that seemingly understand gymnastics that have been confused about this. Just watching podium training sheds some light, and that's like one tenth of al the stuff that has gone on. I would assume Martha didn't just throw names on a board randomly. I also don't think it was really between Laurie and Gabby at this point but Aly and Laurie.

I've been a fan of Laurie's for years and think she is a phenomenal athlete. She is amazing no matter what. She has displayed so much maturity beyond her years in rolling with the punches and being ready for everything. A true team player, more valuable than anything else.

But I don't think this decision was made "politically" and I'm not sure why the gymnastics community will freak out about a news article and say it's ruining the Olympics but then turn around and propagate conspiracy theories that also make gymnastics look bad. Also none of these rules are Martha's. Maybe FIG should allow someone who has had strong international performances just to do an individual routine in Quals (out of the lineup) even if they hold to the two per country rule. That likely wouldn't have benefitted Laurie who didn't go to 2015 Worlds, but Martha could have used it to give Aly a shot, for instance.

I do hope she isn't really injured. I pray that is not the case. There have already been two yucky men's injuries....we don't need the trinity here.

Gymdog it actually happened at trials in both warmup sessions...but she was able to get through it on Friday after a few rotations and then caught it three times and got through the rest of the routine (had a surprising bobble on low bar afterwards). But on Sunday it just wasn't happening. I thought it was a brilliant decision on her coach's part to take out the 3rd tchev. There were some scary vaults in the warmups also, come to think of it. Come to think or it, I would rather NOT think about it.:confused::eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back