Aly over Laurie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Laurie looked labored and just a bit "off" on bars. Love her to death, but her bars was a struggle yesterday.

Aly looked better than ever on 3/4 events I think. Barring a major mistake, she'll qualify behind Simone, even taking the international hits to her scores. She has room to improve on beam as well, but I think we'll see her with a silver medal making up for the disappointing tie break in 2012.

Hopefully this is not true and Laurie is fine, but if she's not, what is the cutoff for getting an alternate? I feel like I heard 24 hours before the qualifying round?

Laurie looked labored and just a bit "off" on bars. Love her to death, but her bars was a struggle yesterday.

Aly looked better than ever on 3/4 events I think. Barring a major mistake, she'll qualify behind Simone, even taking the international hits to her scores. She has room to improve on beam as well, but I think we'll see her with a silver medal making up for the disappointing tie break in 2012.
Aly really did look amazing yesterday. Think she would have only 1 to 1.5 behind Simone instead of the usual 2.5 or so. And, I agree, I don't think there is anyone else from the rest of the countries that can come close to her for the silver if she hits.(though if Shang Chunsong could vault, she'd be in trouble)

Happy for Aly, but really really sad for Laurie. I mean she killed it 100% at trials, but I guess her nerves or perhaps the injury (if it's true) are affecting her.
I personally wasn't expecting Gabby to compete AA after trials. I didn't think there was any way Marta would put her on the beam at the olympics, and I thought that Madison Kocian might compete on beam instead, meaning that only Simone and Aly OR Laurie would do AA. I can understand Gabby competing bars. But after qualifying I still think it will be Aly who gets the 2nd AA spot. It is what it is, and we have no idea what issues might be going on behind the scenes either (pain, injuries, nerves, mental blocks, etc.) The good thing for Laurie is that she's young and I think she has the potential to keep working after the Olympics and possibly be the next Simone by 2020. Well that is if Simone doesn't decide to go for a 2nd round! ;) I also l0ok for Ragan Smith to make a lot of improvements and be one of the top gymnasts in the years to come. I guess it will come down to whether Ragan continues elite or goes to college gymnastics in a few years.

I didn't think there was any way Marta would put her on the beam at the olympics, and I thought that Madison Kocian might compete on beam instead, meaning that only Simone and Aly OR Laurie would do AA.
Neither Gabby or Madison would be considered to go on beam in team final.(barring injury or an unexpectedly poor performance in qualifying by another) So just deciding which one of them gets the 4th spot in qualifying. When you look at their performances at the 2 competitions leading up to O's(trials and P&G), if you add up their 4 scores they are only separated by about a tenth and both had falls. So pretty much a toss up. Gabby has a higher D score(by 4 or 5 tenths when they both hit their connections), so the potential to score higher, and has more international experience and has the potential to do AA. All those tip the scale in her favor to get that 4th spot on beam in qualifying. And if you look at Gabby and Madison's performance in podium training, I think they would have beam separated by about that 4 or 5 tenths - similar execution scores and both missed at least one connection but Gabby would have been in the mid 14's and Madison around 14.

The bottom line is Marta knows what she is doing. I trust her judgment to do the best thing for Team USA. Laurie does not have the international experience. Her performance at podium training made that clear. Aly did the best vault I have ever seen her do, was terrific on floor. Bars -- she got through it which is all we can hope for. All 5 girls were not at their best on beam but I think they were just overtired.

Gabby and Aly are the best two to put up on AA after Simone.

My hunch is Aly will advance to AA finals

Neither Gabby or Madison would be considered to go on beam in team final.(barring injury or an unexpectedly poor performance in qualifying by another) So just deciding which one of them gets the 4th spot in qualifying. When you look at their performances at the 2 competitions leading up to O's(trials and P&G), if you add up their 4 scores they are only separated by about a tenth and both had falls. So pretty much a toss up. Gabby has a higher D score(by 4 or 5 tenths when they both hit their connections), so the potential to score higher, and has more international experience and has the potential to do AA. All those tip the scale in her favor to get that 4th spot on beam in qualifying. And if you look at Gabby and Madison's performance in podium training, I think they would have beam separated by about that 4 or 5 tenths - similar execution scores and both missed at least one connection but Gabby would have been in the mid 14's and Madison around 14.

I understand the reasoning I just think it would have been nice to see Madison Kocian get to compete on something besides bars. I agree the beam team final will be Simone, Laurie and Aly. And I think Aly will get the 2nd AA spot after qualifying.

Must be hard for Simone in a way. When everyone acknowledges they're aren't even trying to beat you, you have to find a lot of internal motivation to keep pushing ahead.

She's a tough kid in more ways than one and we are privileged to get to witness her greatness in real time. Off the topic digression again, but had to say it.

Similar things are being said about swimmer Katie Ledecky. One competitor said she was excited to see Katie's feet during a race. Like Simone, she has exploded in the past 4 years ( she was in the last Olympics as a 15 year old). Unlike Simone, she is still committed to Stanford and has not turned pro.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back