WAG Am I unhealthily obsessed with gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flaviatumbles

First of all: I am sorry to post another topic just one day after my last, but I am really worried!
I have a question to you: Is it bad that I am addicted with gymnastics?
As you may know, I am already 17 years old. I started quite late at age 13, but I loved gym ever since and I progressed very very very fast!
We have a differnet system, but in the USAG System I would be a good L7 and I am really strong (5 press handstands in a row, rope climb in pike, 20 leg lifts...)

Here are my concerns:
I LOVE GYMNASTICS! I think I am seriously addicted!!!!
I never ever want to leave practice, even when conditioning is really though. If I could, I would live in the gym! I could practice all day, I have never enough. When I am in school, I am looking foward to practice. It's my last thought when I go to bed and my first when I wake up.
I hate Sundays and Wednesdays, because I have no gym on days. But I still practice at home.
I am always thinking about my routines, what I want to learn etc.

All of my former gym friends quit, because they wanted more time with friends, have boyfriends, like to party...
I mean, I also go to birthday parties or to the movies, but not as much as they do.

My mom and dad don't understand me, the say I have nothing else than gym in my life and I am too old for it. They always ask if that doesn't get boring...
For example, I don't like going on holiday for more than a week because I am afraid of muscle loss.

I want to become a P.E. teacher later and I also want to coach if that is possible. But most of all, I want to always have at least 4 hours a day for my gymnastics and I want to do it as long as possible!

Do you think this is an unhealthy addiction? Should I worry?

Not at all. Life without passion isn't much of a life at all, so congratulations on finding your passion! When I first started coaching I worked Monday-Saturday so I hated Sundays! And like you, first thing I thought about in the morning and last thing at night (not to mention the dreams!). Be happy and enjoy your passion! :)

Not at all. Life without passion isn't much of a life at all, so congratulations on finding your passion! When I first started coaching I worked Monday-Saturday so I hated Sundays! And like you, first thing I thought about in the morning and last thing at night (not to mention the dreams!). Be happy and enjoy your passion! :)

Thank you!!!

I think that people who are not in the sport just don't understand...my friends also think I am crazy, but luckily they accept it.

When you say passion, it sounds so much more positive than obession :))

I think you should enjoy it as long as you can! Who cares if most people do it younger? I loved it too, but then I went to college, and stopped. Always wished I could continue but not good enough for team and no extra money to continue. Twice as an adult I went back, once in my 20's and then around 30. Always fun but sure makes you come to terms with your aging body! At some point, life does get going really fast and it's hard to do it anymore. So for god sakes, enjoy yourself!! These are the good ol days!!

Absolutely not! Especially considering that you're 17! Gymnastics is a WAY healthier addiction to have than some of the addictions other 17 year olds have.....good for you for having such a passion at that age, I can gurantee you that what you gain from gymnastics is going to get you a LOT farther in life than certain "passions" of other high schoolers :)

Having a passion is having an obsession. For some reason, though, the word obsession usually has a negative, unhealthy connotation to it. Sometimes, it is considered synonymous with addiction. However, not all obsessions or addictions are bad. ;) You are an inspiration, and I find in you a kindred spirit. I started training parkour/freerunning and tricking when I was 18, and over the years I have gotten quite good at it, and I've met many of my best friends and had many positive life changing experiences through it. I love training to no end. Cheers to age being just a number.

Having a passion is having an obsession. For some reason, though, the word obsession usually has a negative, unhealthy connotation to it. Sometimes, it is considered synonymous with addiction. However, not all obsessions or addictions are bad. ;) You are an inspiration, and I find in you a kindred spirit. I started training parkour/freerunning and tricking when I was 18, and over the years I have gotten quite good at it, and I've met many of my best friends and had many positive life changing experiences through it. I love training to no end. Cheers to age being just a number.

Thank you so much! Of course I am still involved in things I do with friends, like if we are going to the movies, cook together and then we also stay up until 2 or 3 am! I am just not fond of going out and partying until 4am or so, because it is really bad for my gymnastics.

Also, some of my gym friends do gym as a hobby, like they go to gym or open gym twice a week or so, because they are either busy working, studying, with frieds and just don't want it really. But nobody of them can climb ropes with no legs, do leg lifts or press handstands. So I guess you have to decide and my decision is clear!
Everyday, no matter how bad it was, gets better as soon as I walk into the gym. And I somehow feel bulletproof when doing gymnastics. I feel so strong and that nothing could harm me. If I will ever be sad, I know if I do gymnastics, I will feel so much better!
This is my dream at the moment and I am pretty sure it will be for the next couple of years. Maybe I will coach one day but I will always train for myself, I think!

Thank you for your input!!

I have never actually done gymnastics myself, although now I wish my parents had enrolled me when I was a kid! I started with parkour/freerunning and tricking, and got a recreational gymnastics instructor position through that. Now, I coach a competitive Xcel team and it has pretty much consumed my life. It keeps me very busy, but I love every second of it. I highly recommend coaching. I think it will put an incredible amount of joy into your heart to help young athletes share your passion for the sport. There is nothing like seeing a child's face light up with pride when they accomplish a new skill for the first time.

My DD is 12 and has plans to stay in gymnastics until adulthood. I always tell her its ok, be an inspiration to younger girls . Just like you are an inspiration for her. I will tell her today! Look here she's 17 and still loves gym.

My DD is 12 and has plans to stay in gymnastics until adulthood. I always tell her its ok, be an inspiration to younger girls . Just like you are an inspiration for her. I will tell her today! Look here she's 17 and still loves gym.

This almost made me cry! Thank you so much! Now I see everything a lot more positive! It might be an obsession and I might be a little crazy...but which person is not a little crazy who does handsprings and tucks on a 4" wide piece of wood or circles around a bar! ☺️

I feel YA, I am obsessed, too!!! I am 39 and still doing it, and it's my favorite thing all week....I look forward to it and my whole family knows, "Mom's going to her tumbling class tonight!" I think it's awesome you have a passion so strong, enjoy it!!

I'm 21 and still love it. I do have non-bouncy friends who don't quite get it, but I manage to fit other stuff (like conditioning, thinking about routines, coaching... ;)) into my life alongside 6 days of training per week, so I don't think it's become unhealthy for me yet!

Yes yes yes! I totally am the same way. I'm 16 and started at 14 and I can't get enough. It's always on my mind and has been since I started. I actually wrote in one of my essays that is one of the most healthy unhealthy obsessions! It's awesome to have such a fiery passion, and like someone says it does inspire people. You don't have to be a L10 throwing double backs to make people look up to you. Just being supportive and passionate is really all you need!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back