WAG Another Booster Question: Families with multiple gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dbean

Proud Parent
We are a newish booster club. Today at our meeting some parents questioned why parents with multiple children get equal funds as other families when they only pay a single membership fee. I was wondering how other clubs handle this. do you
a) Charge membership per family and still spit funds equally to each gymnast
b) Charge membership per family but only give equal funds per family (seems illegal right?)
c) Charge membership per gymnast and split funds equally to each gymnast
d) Charge membership per gymnast (with sibling discount) and split funds equally to each gymnast
e) Other

If other, what do you do? I appreciate any feedback you may have in advance. Thank you!

We charge a booster club fee per gymnast but it all goes to the General Fund where we pay for things for the club as a whole. We have several families with more than one gymnast and some with 3!

We are a newish booster club. Today at our meeting some parents questioned why parents with multiple children get equal funds as other families when they only pay a single membership fee. I was wondering how other clubs handle this. do you
a) Charge membership per family and still spit funds equally to each gymnast
b) Charge membership per family but only give equal funds per family (seems illegal right?)
c) Charge membership per gymnast and split funds equally to each gymnast
d) Charge membership per gymnast (with sibling discount) and split funds equally to each gymnast
e) Other

If other, what do you do? I appreciate any feedback you may have in advance. Thank you!
As I only have one child, I can't recall if the membership is per child or family. When you say membership, do you mean money paid to the gym at the beginning of the season? We have an annual registration fee ($50....least expensive part of gym!)

But each returning family gets a benefit every year, split equally amongst the gymnasts. So if you have two girls they each get the same benefit.
I also know we have a sibling discount for monthly tuition but this is not part of the booster club.

Hope this helps.

We are talking membership fees to booster club. The gym collects competitive fees over four months. Booster writes our gym a check that goes to each gymnast competitive fee account

We charge a booster club fee per gymnast but it all goes to the General Fund where we pay for things for the club as a whole. We have several families with more than one gymnast and some with 3!
Thank you. This is what we are thinking but will a sibling discount on membership dues

We don't do any discounts for team/booster fees, as our yearly budget is based solely on covering the costs of competing for the season (which is split amongst all gymnasts equally), with no profit built in. So it wouldn't be fair for some girls to be pay less than their share because they have a sibling on team as well.

We don't do any discounts for team/booster fees, as our yearly budget is based solely on covering the costs of competing for the season (which is split amongst all gymnasts equally), with no profit built in. So it wouldn't be fair for some girls to be pay less than their share because they have a sibling on team as well.

This is how ours is too. I think families with multiple gymnasts get off a little easy anyway, since the volunteer and cleaning requirements are per family, not per gymnast.

So, we don't pay any fees or anything for our booster, but when working, you have to work per gymnast.

For the gym that all of my kids were at together (3 kids) I paid booster per kid, no discount. Volunteer time though was per family. So I did get a break there. No break in gym registration fees; but there was a discount for monthly tuition.

We charge per gymnast, but we are small and have only one required fundraising/volunteering obligation. Our fee's go into a general account that pay for team events. Our overages at the end of the year get split and returned to each gymnasts personal accounts.

Everything we do is per gymnast. All costs, votes (2 gymnasts=2 votes) and volunteer commitments are per gymnast with no discount.

Personally, this year I am opting out of booster completely as with 3 gymnasts the cost of participating then being the only adult to help them raise money, I basically wouldn't earn anything! (our volunteer commitments are to the gym - not the booster, and meet fees, etc are paid seperately, booster basically divides money earned among participating gymnasts to help "refund" families what they have paid - after years of participation, I figure I can work a couple more hours and make up the difference without selling stuff to relatives!)

I have often wondered about all of this. Our former gym we paid a membership fee and a booster fee. No actual booster organization to speak of...for example no parents involved in what that money was used for, etc. So it was just like sending a fee into the air. 4 yrs of that yearly routine and I still don't know where and what that money was used for. Never explained.

Now at our new gym, there is an actual parent booster club. With very detailed reports of where the money goes and so forth! Such a welcome change!

Any ideas why a gym would ask for the booster fee have no actual parent booster committee or whatever and never divulge what the money is used for? Even upon being asked for a breakdown?

I have often wondered about all of this. Our former gym we paid a membership fee and a booster fee. No actual booster organization to speak of...for example no parents involved in what that money was used for, etc. So it was just like sending a fee into the air. 4 yrs of that yearly routine and I still don't know where and what that money was used for. Never explained.

Now at our new gym, there is an actual parent booster club. With very detailed reports of where the money goes and so forth! Such a welcome change!

Any ideas why a gym would ask for the booster fee have no actual parent booster committee or whatever and never divulge what the money is used for? Even upon being asked for a breakdown?

Why? I am guessing it was just extra income to them. Unethical and illegal if this "booster fee" was in any way fundraised by the families. Glad you are now in a gym that does it right!

We are non-profit too. When you join, you work bingo. All the money goes into one account and is paid out as needed..travel, meets, fees, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back