WAG Another clear hip post… help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Newbiemom82

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My daughter has been working clear hips for the last year, is now competing them and struggling. They look more like a fast back hip circle with a bit of a gap between her body and the bar rather than a clear hip. Everything I’ve read focuses on the fast drop. She does this but she seems stuck on what happens after the drop. She just lets the momentum from the drop circle her around the bar but she never reaches close to horizontal, just drops down right behind the bar once she’s finished circling! I’m sure a lot of girls start this way but they just don’t seem to be improving. Any tips?

She probably needs to shift her wrists a lot faster and push against the bar after the drop, it would also be good to practice some on strap bar

Thanks for your reply. You could be right about the shift. She can clear hip to handstand on the strap bar but seems to forget everything when not on straps.

if she's doing well on the straps, then I would guess [without videos, hard to know] that it has to do with her wrist shift. Has she worked back extension rolls with a forster bar at all? IMO it really helps with the shift and timing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back