Another DSLR Lens Question!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
I just recently bought a new DSLR camera. It is the Canon 60 D. The camera came with this lens (18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 image-stabilized lens included).
I also purchased this lens (Canon - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens).

After reading some of the other posts I am second guessing my lens choice. To be perfectly honest most of the discussion I read is WAYYYYYY over my head and I really do not know much about photography. Do you think I can get by with this lens at meets? Most of the meets we attend are at gyms so the lighting is horrendous.

Could someone can give me an idea of what the best settings will be for shooting gymnastics with this camera and either of these 2 lenses.

Thanks!!!

Try some of the techniques that I posted in this thread ---- http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/q...need-help-choosing-slr-camera-lens-meets.html

To simplify it. Put your camera in Manual Mode. (1) Raise your ISO as high as you can (be careful though, the higher the ISO, the more 'noise' in the photo), (2) Lower your Aperature as low as you can (For the 1st lens, that will be 3.5 at the 18mm mark and 5.6 at the 135mm mark. For the 2nd lens that will be 4.0 at the 70mm mark and 5.6 at the 300mm mark. Just set it as LOW as possible and the camera will automatically move to a higher app if you zoom in on something), (3) play with the shutter speed. The higher the speed setting, the more action can be 'frozen'. The lower the shutter speed, the more 'blur' in the action shots. BUT....the higher the shutter speed, the darker the photo. So this is a game of playing with the shutter speed to find the best setting for the venue.

I know a little about camera mechanics - just self-taught, so someone jump in if I explain it wrong) Honestly, I would try to return one of the lenses and get an f/2.8 continuous lens (yours has a range). The aperture (that f number) determines how much light is let into the lens. The lower the number, the larger the amount of light let in. Under normal conditions, your lenses will be just fine. The problem with gymnastics meets is that the lighting stinks - particularly at gyms. And since you can't use a flash (wouldn't work anyway as the action is too far away), either photos will be too dark (not enough let in) or the action shots will be really blurry (because you have your shutter speed slowed down to let more light in).

the problem with the f2.8's and below is that they are super expensive. If you can't return one of yours or can't afford the f/2.8's then your best bet is to go wide angle and then crop your pictures after. this will allow you to use the lowest aperture as possible, which will give you the best results. this might work really well if you are close to the action but if you are far away, you will lose a lot of resolution by cropping. Might be ok for 4x6 but definitely not 5x7 or larger.

last year, I gave up on shooting at the meets with my camera. I got some OK shots but freezing my videos. But I really want to get some nice, clear action shots so I am splurging on a new lens - still not sure which yet though

Unfortunately, gymnastics photography equipment can get VERY expensive...

Gymnastics is probably one of the toughest sports to properly photograph for three reasons:

1. Speed of the athlete/movement
2. Light (or lack thereof) of the gym
3. Distance from the action

In order to get good photos, you need a fast lens (Aperature at least 2.8) in order to maintain high shutterspeed (at least 1/250 - 1/500). A fast zoom lens is VERY expensive. The popular 70-200/f2.8 cost about $1000.

There are some options... if you are at a venue where you can get close to the action, you can get away with using the 50mm/f1.8 lens ($99) - this a a very good and inexpensive lens. Great if you can get close enough.

You can just concentrate on taking pictures of the gymnasts' poses rather than the motion part of their routines - the beam scales, the floor splits and posts, etc. If they aren't moving, you don't need shutter speed that fast and can use slower lens...

You can increase the ISO. Newer camera bodies have really good high ISO performance. Combine this was noise reduction software and you get very usable pictures. Even using my f2.8 lens, I often have to be at ISO 6400 to maintain a high shutterspeed..

Lastly, you can use your camera to record video instead of pictures. Video mode doesn't require as high shutter speed.

Good luck

^^^What tomtnt said...

I shoot the 20D and I have the 50mm/f1.8 and the 85mm/f1.8. I can't afford the the 135mm/f2.0 or the 200mm/f2.0 yet.

Primes lenses rule!

Well......
After reading page after page of information about photography and all the responses here...I think we have decided to return the 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens and purchase the 70-200mm/f2.8 USM telephoto lens. OMG the cost is almost triple!! (is this the right choice?) We are not ususally very close to the action.
If another lens would be a better choice please let me know! For this kind of money I want to be sure that I am getting exactly what I need!! And thanks for all the answers!! Very helpful information for a newbie photographer (not sure I can even call myself that at this point)!!

I agree with tomtnt about the problems with photos at gym meets. I occasionally run into a venue with good lighting, but its rare. I have had the best success by videotaping the actual competition so I have a record of it, but doing my DSLR work during warmups. I get much closer without bothering anybody and since the girls are repeating their moves, I can try lots of different angles, techniques, etc. and then save the best.

You can try renting a lens before making the big purchase. I'm thinking of doing this myself. It would cost me somewhere between $30-$40 for a lens. Take a look at local camera stores to see if they do rentals.

You should be happy with the 2.8/70-200 mm lens. I bought it for myself for a birthday present last year and was very happy with it. I got very good pictures with it in almost every event in every gym my daughter competed in. You will find that there will usually be one event that will be too far away to get good pictures (close up view) with that amount of zoom, but the sharpness will be excellent.

Mine is very heavy, though, and I did not spend the extra money for the VR version, so need to use a monopod.

One thing I found helpful was to lurk on the photography forums and use settings suggested for photographing basketball as starting points.

Mine is very heavy, though, and I did not spend the extra money for the VR version, so need to use a monopod.

Just curious...what is the VR version? Is it the same as IS (image stabilization?). We did not purchase the IS model as it was much more expensive (like $900.00 more) YIKES!! I do have a tripod but alot of times it does not fit well in the gyms we are at. It gets in the way of everyone else!!

Just curious...what is the VR version? Is it the same as IS (image stabilization?). We did not purchase the IS model as it was much more expensive (like $900.00 more) YIKES!! I do have a tripod but alot of times it does not fit well in the gyms we are at. It gets in the way of everyone else!!

Technically, you shouldn't need the IS version of the 70-200/f2.8 since you are aiming for a shutter speed of at least 1/250-1/400. At that speed, the camera shutter is faster than the wobbles you are generating by not being able to hold still...

One thing to consider is the current trend of restricting the lens size permitted at some gymnastic events, over here there has been a trickle down effect from Nationals to States of not allowing a lens longer than 100mm :(

One thing to consider is the current trend of restricting the lens size permitted at some gymnastic events, over here there has been a trickle down effect from Nationals to States of not allowing a lens longer than 100mm :(

why :confused:

Agreed. I also want to know why nothing longer than a 100mm is allowed. Sounds stupid to me.

I've just recently bought a 60D as well. Got it with the standard 18-55mm IS lens.
I then bought a second hand 70-210mm USM, as well as a brand new 28-135mm IS USM lens.
Got to say the 28-135mm is my favourite by far currently for gymnastics shots.

I'm in gyms that aren't that big so the range is perfect, and USM makes for great fast autofocus while a gymnast is running fast. Don't use live view, makes the shooting slow, and try set the auto focus to.... AI servo I think its called? I use rapid fire shots so it just keeps changing the focus as the gymnast moves.

I tend to go with TV or shutter priority mode. I use about 1/250 as the minimum I think. Then I simply adjust the ISO to match the lighting. Last shoot I did the shutter was set at 1/320, and ISO at 2000. I thought the photos came out nicely :) great thing too is to make use of the C function, saving your settings to that once they adjusted. My C function is my gym shooting settings hehe. Anyway so thats my input of my small bit of experience so far.

I'm mostly self taught so far by the way.
As for buying expensive lenses........ I'd try hiring one first to see what its like or see if you know someone with it. Never got to do that myself but yea. Sounds safer than spending tons on something you don't like.
Been tempted to go for a prime like the cheap 50mm but yea. like being able to zoom for gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back