WAG Arm Circle on Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys! So I've been trying to learn an arm circle on vault, but the problem is I've never really practiced vaulting with them before. I know how to do an arm circle (and I do things like the old level 4/handstand fall flat or hand stand shoulder pops with an arm circle) but when I actually vault I'm running so fast that I just can't seem to get my arms behind me before I hit the board. (I do a half on full off, and I get off maybe 1 tenth for lack of speed, power, amplitude, etc. so I'm a decent vaulter for my level (diamond) , but could be more powerful with an arm circle!!)
Any ideas/drills/other things I could do to get more comfortable doing the arm circle?
P.S. I do the big arms by your ear circle... I've heard this is OK some places and wrong others... Any opinions?? Thanks!!

It's your choice if u want to do a big arm circle or a small one staying by your hips, for you I would recommend the smaller one because it's less of a transition from where your hands are running to where your hands would be ad circling I would start closer to the vault and do front handspring vaults with the arm circle and slowly back up from the vault to your normal starting number, then once you're completely comfortable arm circling for a front handspring vault. Do your normal vault with the armcircle

I start my gymnasts off with arm circles by pretending to skip backwards with a rope on top of the spring board, then have thm do a small run up and stretch jump off a spring board slapping their thighs as the arms swing past.It does take a while for some people to build the co-ordination, but it is something you can practise anywhere (few steps run arm, circle and stretch jump) until it clicks'
You will certainly notice a difference to your vault when you get this.Good Luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back