asking kids to leave your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

hank123

i have been reading the forum for a while but never posted till now...basically i was wonderin if any coaches out there ever had to ask a gymnast to leave and what were the reasons?? did it go well or was it a sticky situation at the end??

long story short, there was this girl in my gym and she stole some stuff from a girl who brought clothing in for another girl and the coach told her that if it happens again she will be asked to leave the gym. and about a month or so later we caught her snooping through some people's cubbies taking money so the coach asked her to leave since she was a disruption to the gym and she could not trust her alone. it really was sad to hear she was stealing, she was so nice to be around.

my son was asked to leave the gym
He has a behaviour problem. He was on the team. He was disruptive to the other boys, and wouldnt listen properly.
His school and gym were aware of the problems, but only senior school has ever been supportive, and still is to an extent.
We didnt end up with bad feeling really. I did break down and cry in the meeting with HC! (not with son present)
He said the coaching team had decided they didnt want him, and HC said he had been there longer than he would have been because he thought he had talent and advocated for him but in the end the other coaches didnt want my son there.

1 for stealing and 3 for drinking beer in my parking lot after gym hours and when they thought everyone had gone home. i've been known to lurk at my own gym...;)

What a hard situation Jacquie. I feel for you and hope he has other activities to be involved in now.

Dunno I love the idea of lurking at your own gym.

We have lost a couple that have been caught stealing. I always find it very shocking when children steal. Such a shame.

One situation where a "captain" of a certain level was bullying other girls. She was told by the coach that bullying obviously contrary to "leadership qualities," so she was told she would no longer be captain. This girl refused to accept responsibility that she was bullying and rather than step down as captain, she left the gym. I am not aware of anything else.

As a club owner, we have asked three gymnasts to leave our girls team program in the last 15 years. Mostly because they just didn't fit well into our team philosophy.. they were more of a every man for himself.... basically... they were queen bees at home and didn't like it when they got treated like everyone else. One moved to another gym with a more individual philosophy and we see her from time to time and she has done fine there. One moved to another gym and quit shortly after - apparently the grass isn't always greener. And one moved to a brand new gym that has opened and I give her (and her crazy mother) two years tops. In the end, everyone is happier... the kids who were asked to leave, the parents and most of all us and our current gymnasts. In all three instances, once these kids were out of our program the current kids breathed a sigh of relief... just better all the way around.

I am also curious if anyone has ever asked a child to leave because of something the parent did? I know there are some crazy parents out there and if I owned a gym I would not want some of them around.

yes, after a father came up and got in a coaches face leaving a meet.

I am also curious if anyone has ever asked a child to leave because of something the parent did? I know there are some crazy parents out there and if I owned a gym I would not want some of them around.

yep...forgot about 1.:)

i want to ask 1 kid to leave because of the parents.. that is actually the reason i asked the question. the kid is fine but the parents are pure lunatic

We have a family that SHOULD be asked to leave the gym because of the evil behavior of the parents but in today's economic climate, they remain at the gym spouting their drivel...

i want to ask 1 kid to leave because of the parents.. that is actually the reason i asked the question. the kid is fine but the parents are pure lunatic

I have seen a girl thrown out of a gym with their parent because the parent was a lunatic. Crazy mom could not stay off the floor; thought she knew more than the coaches. Poor girl was horrified and devastated :(
I felt so very bad for her.

Be careful about the gymnast, she does not deserve to be punished because of her parents actions. I'd have a sit down with them to explain how their behavior has crossed the line into crazy. I'd also put some restrictions on them at that point - no watching practice, no coaching from the sidelines, no talking about any of the gymnast with other parents, no whatever it is they are doing to be crazy. Make clear that if their behavior continues, then you have no choice but to ask them to take their daughter to another gym because they are not welcome in yours.

Good luck with that, maybe the parents will see the light!! Let us know how it goes.

I get the "not taking it out on the gymnast" part if the parents are ill behaved but sometimes that's the only message they'll get...

A couple of the crazy parents have been talked to at our gym. They have been banned from watching practice and they have gotten the message. Their girls are still at the gym and are great. Our gym won't hesitate to let a parent know when they have crossed the line. Two of these are dads but the moms are great. It is a shame to punish the gymnast. We have a crazy mom who left our gym for another in town because she didn't want to listen and now she has been told to stay away from the gym there too or her daughter will be asked to leave. It is a shame for this little girl because she is one of those one in a million gymnasts and she is only 6.

Yeah I would probably take steps to restrict the parents before throwing the kid out, unless the issue was really big or dangerous (have seen that happen).

basically the issues are...them both coaching her while she is training, them coaching her at open gym, building home equipment which she has been injured on and now has three major fear issues...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back