asking kids to leave your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

just a perspective as a gym owner for use as rational comparative analysis. new york rents/leases are the highest in the land. they could be paying well over $25,000 a month on a lease. a bit less if a mortgage. That would equal $300,000 per year excluding CAM and other expenses you can't see.

2 coaches where you live could be ^^^ of $40,000 per coach per year. after other employee considerations could be $100,000 for the 2 team coaches. so, between the lease and the 2 coaches could well be a wash equaling $400,000 per year which is what you stated they could have been making if not for the reasons above.

there are approx 4500 private clubs in america. less than 2% gross above $500,000 per year. this comes from USAG club membership private data. so, my point is that it ain't so cheap to own a gym.

just a perspective as a gym owner for use as rational comparative analysis. new york rents/leases are the highest in the land. they could be paying well over $25,000 a month on a lease. a bit less if a mortgage. That would equal $300,000 per year excluding CAM and other expenses you can't see.

2 coaches where you live could be ^^^ of $40,000 per coach per year. after other employee considerations could be $100,000 for the 2 team coaches. so, between the lease and the 2 coaches could well be a wash equaling $400,000 per year which is what you stated they could have been making if not for the reasons above.

there are approx 4500 private clubs in america. less than 2% gross above $500,000 per year. this comes from USAG club membership private data. so, my point is that it ain't so cheap to own a gym.

Just for the record, I am not claiming our gym made that amount. I indicated that amount as gross income merely from team tuition, not gym net income. I know the owners are paying a lot for rent and am aware of all overhead expenses, utilities, taxes, etc. I am merely stating that the team is a major contributor to the gym's income and that the loss of half our team (a potential $200,000 income) is hurting the gym. If the team even just covers the rent and two coaches, then the income derived from rec kids are all gravy. One can also look it the other way. Rec kids tuition covers all operating cost. And as such, team tuition is gravy or pure profit. Either way, both contribute to income for the gym. Don't forget, having a team is free advertisement for the gym.

I see the point you are making Dancengym and I also see Dunno's point...what I've always been told is that a gym is a pyramid structure and those at the bottom of the pyramid (and greater in number) are the bottom feeders and pay more to support those at the top of the pyramid (and less in #) who are the sharks...

Bookworm, what you've been told and what dunno is saying is certainly valid and is what is customary and is generally statistically accurate. But not only are there always exceptions to the rule, every business is run a tad different. Nonetheless, you are still correct. I am certain our gym makes more money on the rec kids. But the team also contributes substantially to a gym, both financially and in drawing new students. That is probably one reason the gym of the OP is hanging on to the gymnast in question. She both brings revenue via tuition and because she is good, the gym looks good and draws in new students.

Going back to this specific instance…

Expelling a child from a gym is typically only done if there is an issue that is impacting other gymnasts or the coaches (for example, the child who is stealing or the parent who threatens a coach). Or when someone engages in truly dangerous and illegal behavior (like underage drinking or doing something on the equipment that they have been told not to do).

In this case, it doesn’t sound like the parent’s behavior is doing that. It’s sad that they are harming their daughter, but it would probably cause even more harm to their daughter to have her leave a gym where you know that she is getting good coaching and protection.

Funny also is when parents tell people that they left on their own accord when really they have been asked to leave - and years later, when they gym hop AGAIN or just quit the sport entirely - people finally see the truth : )

Funny also is when parents tell people that they left on their own accord when really they have been asked to leave - and years later, when they gym hop AGAIN or just quit the sport entirely - people finally see the truth : )
I'm pretty sure a recent transfer to DD's gym was involuntary. Very little the parent says jives with information that's readily available online. Girl is sweet though.

It's hard on the whole program when a crazy parent and or child is allowed to stay despite repetitive warnings. Parents begin to think they run the show as does the child eventually. Rules are rules if someone is violating team policy or any policy for that matter and have even been warned they should be asked to leave. If they aren't then that policy means nothing and soon enough others will violate it too. If they arent infact breaking any policies or rules then perhaps it's time to rewrite the manual:)

As a side note when we pulled our dd from a gym her coach said many negative things about our family. Yes gym hoppers was one of the things said. However, the coach has since been fired and this time her gymmies didn't follow , well most. So it's not ALWAYS a case of crazy parents no matter what the rumor mill might churn out:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back