WAG Back Hip Circle Help!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm training level 4 (new level 3) and I CAN'T get my back hip circle!! I can do it with a spot, but not by myself. Every time i'm doing it by myself, I fall under the bar. My coach keeps telling me that I need to get more momentum from my cast, and that I need to keep my hips to the bar, and I try to do that, but I ALWAYS fall! Any tips?:confused::confused::confused:

well, with the 3 names like you have, it seems to me that you have 3 different ways to get it done. :)

What is your coach doing when spotting that helps you get around?

Keep your hips to the bar and try to keep your arms straight. Don't do what I always did (throwing your head back). try one big cast and watch your feet come around the bar. Switch your hands once you are around the bar. Don't over think things or you won't get it. Just keep trying and persevere! You'll get it eventually!

He usually has me do a cast 3 times, then on the 3rd cast he sorta pushes me around the bar...... it's kinda hard to explain.

Then that's what you need to do for yourself. Push really hard to get around. You have to really go for it. When I first learned I had to push as hard as I could and was really piked. It was pretty ugly but it got me around. Once I got used to going around I started to be able to tidy it up. As the others have already said, watch your feet come up behind the bar. You shouldn't really need 3 casts, I would just do one and then go for it.

Yeah throwing my head back is one of my main problems...

Watch the bar throughout the entire skill.
Try to do 2 in a row instead of just one. Sometimes folks fall because they are trying to stop.
I'm guessing you're currently trying to get your momentum by pushing your feet around the bar. I don't know about you, but my feet don't weigh enough to move my shoulders around the bar.

Back hipcircles 101:

1. start on top of the bar, leaning slightly forward.
2. Cast up. (far too many kids cast away from the bar instead of above it.) If you feel like you're going to fall on your face in your cast, it's most likely where we need it.
3. As your hips come back to the bar, fall back with your shoulders while keep the rest of your body in a tight hollow.
4. motor cycle hands. In the words of the band .38 Special, "Hold on loosely but don't let go"

I know it's a bit of an over simplification but I hope it helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back