Parents Back pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

I'm not asking for medical advice here, just venting or thinking out loud.

My 5 year old L4 has been working out with her dad while we are visiting him and she started complaining about her back hurting. The first day I thought she was just being whiny because she was whining about everything else. Today makes the 3rd day she has been complaining and I'm getting a little worried.

It's strange that what you would think would hurt your back doesn't bother her, but something you wouldn't imagine she complains about. She does backbends, backwalkovers, backhandsprings etc and says it doesn't hurt at all. She does roundoffs with rebounds, no complaints. She vaults no complaints. On beam she says her tuck jump hurts her back, jumping during warming hurts, jumping on the tramp hurts. How could tumbling not hurt or bending in half not hurt if a tuck jump does?

Last Friday as a reward her dad let her do front tucks on the tumble track. She was jumping down the tumble track and then doing a front tuck on to a mat. She did a gazillion of these with some of them landing on her butt and a few landing on her back. I'm wondering if that hurt her back. She begged to do those today and she only did one and said no it hurt too much.

I told her not to do anything that hurts, but I'm thinking a few days off might be in order. Of course maybe it's not even gym, but the hours of swimming and horseplaying with her dad that are the real problem. Maybe she wrenched her back during one of the gazillion times he launched her across the swimming pool. It's hard to know what to do.:confused:

Probably she just overdid it and has a mild back strain. Try some children's Advil(dose per instructions) and ice her back 3-4x/day. Have her take a break from gym and dad launching her in the pool for a few days and see if she's doing better. If not then its time to visit the md and make sure its not something more serious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back