Back Stretches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are some back stretches your gym does? At our gym, the only back stretching they do is a bridge and that's about it. It seems a bit like just popping into a split without doing the lunge and hamstring stretch. I was wondering if there were any prerequisite stretches your gym does in warmups/stretches that you do before doing bridges and backwalkovers?

I have had some lower back pain and usually the problem is due to muscles straining (my dad is a chiropractor) and whenever I do back walkovers it sort of tears my eyes. I did read an article on how doing an incorrect back walkover could put massive pressure on the lower back, but I didn't really understand how a correct and incorrect backwalkover is done. The only thing I really got from the article is to pull up when you start your backwalkover and even when I do that, my back hurts during the walkover.

I have the boys do 5 bridge wall walks in our WU and 5 before going home. We do seal stretch and basket stretch besides hollow and arch rockers as well and candlestick squats (squat to butt, extend to candle, lever down and squat to stand).

We used to include some basic hang 1/2 turns and baby-taps and skin the cats in our WU but haven't since season started to get through our WU quicker.

If they tell me their back is tight I tell them to go do some swings and roll their back out on a foam roller or medball to loosen it up and get the cracks out.

We also stretch out our shoulders with ropes before bridge kickovers/walkovers besides arm circles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back