Backbend Kickover - How to prevent this from happening again?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was coaching tumbling a few days ago and one of my tumblers did a successful backbend. However, the kickover did something strange and honestly freaked me out. I'll try to explain it the best way I can:
While she was in the backbend, she lifted her leg. Once her feet got off the mat, it looked like her shoulders gave out and her back literally bent it half. So her chest was on the mat and her feet were past her head. As in, her upper back was touching her lower back.

Turns out she is fine! However, it was very scary and I am trying to figure out how to prvent this from happening again. I am thinking that she doesn't have the necessary shoulder, back, and core strength and that may have caused the problem. Any ideas, drills, or advice is very much appreciated! I do not ever want to see this happen again!

These are the steps I teach this skill in: 1) Bridge up for 10 sec 2) Bridge up w/1 leg up for 10 sec 3) Bridge kickovers down a large wedge mat 4) Bridge kickovers w/feet elevated on top of a trapezoid (block) 5) Bridge kickover w/feet on a small folded panel mat 6) Bridge kickover on the floor
This may seem like a lot of steps to most coaches, but I find that it has worked well for my students for many years. By the time they have gone through all of these progressions, they usually have the necessary flexibility & strength they need when they get to the floor.

These are the steps I teach this skill in: 1) Bridge up for 10 sec 2) Bridge up w/1 leg up for 10 sec 3) Bridge kickovers down a large wedge mat 4) Bridge kickovers w/feet elevated on top of a trapezoid (block) 5) Bridge kickover w/feet on a small folded panel mat 6) Bridge kickover on the floor
This may seem like a lot of steps to most coaches, but I find that it has worked well for my students for many years. By the time they have gone through all of these progressions, they usually have the necessary flexibility & strength they need when they get to the floor.

I actually use all of these steps! :)
That's what confused and concerned me. She seemed fine kicking over, but I will be sure to watch her more closely before she kicks over by herself next week.

Do you think that's bad? Ive been trying to do a chest stand for ages...
Okay, i'm just kidding. She must be really flexible. I think you should have her doing a handstand into bridge to see if she can hold her own weight, and then move on to kickovers, but all the other suggestions should work out fine.

I usually follow the same, or similar, progressions that a previous poster mentioned. It just helps the kids get more familiar with the correct body positions, make sure they have sufficient strength and flexibility, and know the general mechanics of the skill. It's not fool proof, but I feel like it helps avoid some of those scary crashes like the one you mentioned or where they just kick up and fall flat on their back.
The position you mention is one that some people can do naturally with no problem, or cause some pretty significant pain for others. Glad she's doing okay!

She returned to tumbling last night and her mom said that she didn't complain about any pain at all! Thank goodness! I'm taking the backbend kickover progressions a little slower and watching the skill mores closely. Also having her do back and shoulder exercises to strengthen those muscles. She was a happy and healthy tumbler! :)

she pushed her shoulders to far in front of her hands. this can happen to anyone, even those with great flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back