Backbend kickover ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mapstangelo

DD has been working so hard on her backbend kickover and she just can get it yet. I remember when I was a gymnast it took me forever to get my backwalkover I think I grew the tiniest bit and then I got it.

Could the same be true or is it a strength issue. Any tips/conditioning she can work on to master this skill. She's got a great bridge :)

Is it true you shouldn't start to learn a backhandspring before a backbend kickover?

She's really wants to learn it.

FYI she's only six and a half.

I think it helps when you bridge with your feet on an elevated surface and kick over from there. Just keep lowering the elevation until you can do it on the ground.

definately get her to practice off a raised surface. Also tell her to push her arm pits away from her feet (or towards something that is behind her - often I'll sit a safe distance away from my gymnasts and tell them to push their arm pits towards me)
She needs to keep her legs as split as possible too as gravity will pull her over when she gets to the handstand phase. If she joins her legs or starts to close them she may well just roll back down!

Good luck!

Oh, and for the back bend part, stand next to a wall and walk hands down the wall until she gets to the floor, practice on a soft mat and tell her to make sure she pulls her shoulders backwards before she does anything else.

I always teach backbend pull over from 2 feet before bhs, as it is basically the same skill without flight.

Last edited:
At my gym, we have a girl who has been trying to get her backbend kickover for awhile and what she has been doing is using panel mats and taking one layer down at a time. She is down to two panels now! A good stretch for the backbend kickover is to do a backbend against the wall and try to get your shoulders to touch. Bring your feet as close to your hands as you can. That increases back flexibility. I used this for my BWO last year.

And about the BHS. The girl at my gym who is learning the backbend kickover is also working hard on BHS's.

I think it helps when you bridge with your feet on an elevated surface and kick over from there. Just keep lowering the elevation until you can do it on the ground.

With the drills mentioned by Cindy, make sure she is pushing her shoulders open. Most people try to close their shoulders and collapse on their head or face. Tell her to keep pushing her arms behind her ears or any other verbal queue you can think of to keep the shoulders open. When she's close to handstand, tell her to grow to the ceiling. This usually makes them push the floor down and get over the top.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back