Parents Bad day at practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd had a real bad day at the gym yesterday. It started off well, with her doing some really nice level 7 skills on beam, but when she rotated to bars, things went down hill. She was told to do her level 6 routine, which she messed up, and then she was berated by the coach, and threatened that she would have to compete level 6 again. Of course, this made her feel awful, and only caused her to mess up more. Another coach also gave her a hard time on floor, which she wasn't doing well because she was so upset. When she came home, she cried.

This is not a gym where I can complain to the coaches. Any type of complaint will label me and her a "problem" and will cause further problems.

Any advice for me or her?

MamaofEnS

I am sorry that your dd had a bad day. Those kinds of days are awful and tend to stay in our memories longer. My advice is to let her know that it was just one bad practice and to let go of it. Tell her to not think about the mistakes and to go to the next practice with a fresh start and a positive attitude. I am sure it was just a flukey practice and she will have much better days ahead. Good luck!!

(((hugs)))

Sorry to hear about the coaches comments. I have had the same problem. If it is happening once in a while I usually just tell my girls that the coaches are trying to encourage them, that they aren't trying to be mean but want them to do better. Now, I can't say that I truly believe that, but I think it is important that is what the kids think. Then remind her that she can do it and maybe it was an off day for her and the coaches may have been upset by something else.

If it goes on all the time I would try to approach the owner or other coach if possible. Luckily our owner is very approachable. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I think the coach was having more of an off day than my dd was, so I will let her know that. She can tell when the coaches are in a bad mood. It isn't right, but it definitely happens.

I just don't want her to be discouraged.

MamaofEnS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back