Ballistic stretching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NewtoGym

Proud Parent
Does you gym have the gymnasts do ballistic stretching? How common is this? Have you seen any injuries resulting from this type of stretching? Thanks!

It depends on how you define "ballistic stretching" and how it is done. Often, "ballistic" and "dynamic" are used interchangeably, but their meanings are actually a bit different.

Dynamic stretching -- that is, moving through a stretch or hitting it briefly rather than holding it -- is great for warm-up.

Ballistic stretching -- that is, using speed and momentum to dynamically stretch a muscle farther -- can be dangerous if the intensity is too great. I've seen a couple of studies on the effectiveness of ballistic stretching, and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus as to whether or not it is effective. My sense is that it can have some benefits, but should be done in fairly limited fashion and only after the body is warmed up.

I seem to remember the Gym Press having an article on this awhile back; perhaps Valentin will have something to add here.

It depends on how you define "ballistic stretching" and how it is done. Often, "ballistic" and "dynamic" are used interchangeably, but their meanings are actually a bit different.

Dynamic stretching -- that is, moving through a stretch or hitting it briefly rather than holding it -- is great for warm-up.

Ballistic stretching -- that is, using speed and momentum to dynamically stretch a muscle farther -- can be dangerous if the intensity is too great. I've seen a couple of studies on the effectiveness of ballistic stretching, and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus as to whether or not it is effective. My sense is that it can have some benefits, but should be done in fairly limited fashion and only after the body is warmed up.

I seem to remember the Gym Press having an article on this awhile back; perhaps Valentin will have something to add here.

In dance, we do all types of stretching.

Static stretching, you stretch to your farthest point and hold it there.
Passive stretching, is relaxng into your stretch. We use our body weight comfortably to relax into the stretch.
Active stretching, for instance, we do a grand battement (high kick) and hold the leg at the highest point of the kick.
Dynamic stretching, a grand battement

But we were always prohibited from bouncing into a stretch, a form of ballistic stretching. For gymnastics, is there a preferred form of stretchi?

In dance, we do all types of stretching.

Static stretching, you stretch to your farthest point and hold it there.
Passive stretching, is relaxng into your stretch. We use our body weight comfortably to relax into the stretch.
Active stretching, for instance, we do a grand battement (high kick) and hold the leg at the highest point of the kick.
Dynamic stretching, a grand battement

But we were always prohibited from bouncing into a stretch, a form of ballistic stretching. For gymnastics, is there a preferred form of stretchi?

Like dance, you need some of everything. Passive static, active static, active dynamic, PNF, the whole gamut.

I'd say active static and active dynamic are the most important, but all have their place.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back