WAG Bar skills getting worse

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am losing my bars skills and don't know why.I tried privates but my scores are still dropping.:confused:My coaches told me to think about me doing a 10.00 routine.I did that at a meet and my scores got higher but not like my usual good scores.What should I do to go back to my good routines?Do you have any useful advice I can use?Should I try to get better routines by myself or with some supervision?

How old are you? Age, and growth, can impact a lot on skills. Do not try to work skills without a coach supervising.

So let's talk about that routine you did after your coach told you to think about doing a 10.00 routine. You said that you did that at a meet....and your scores got better. Here's the thing.......you have to think about doing a 10.00 every time you get on the bars, from the moment your feet leave the floor. That's what it takes!

When you go to a meet you spent about 3 minutes total time on the bars from the first touch during warm-ups to the dismount at the end of your routine for the judges. During the week you probably do 15 minutes each day where you are moving into a skill, doing that skill, and transitioning into the next.

Let's see.....4 practices a week with 15 minutes bar contact time each day makes a total 60 minutes for the week, or about 20 times the amount you spent on the bars at the meet. My advice is to treat every one of those 60 minutes each week as if you were being judged at a meet. It will take some effort and concentration to remind yourself as you prepare for a turn on bars, but honestly it starts getting easier in about a week. Something else starts to change in a week.....

Bars gets a little easier, and then easier still because the movements that make skills work depend on consistent effort and execution (form) to swing the way they should. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the skills got so easy that the only thing left for you to do is concentrate, and putting energy into what you're doing. If you do that, the skills, the judges, and the scores will take care of themselves.

That's what worked for me.

Amen! I get silently frustrated when I watch my daughter and her teammates just going through the motions. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does I'm thinking, "This is prime preparation time; don't waste it!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back