Parents Bars Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our uneven bars are set at Olympic settings for everyone. Never changed individually. We have rec bars that are lower but once the girls get to team, they are expected to work on the Olympic settings regardless of size. My dd is one of the smallest and only one girl (the very smallest) has seemed to have problems with this. In that girls case I think it's more of a mental block thing because she is exceptionally strong and actually pretty good at bars.

Our gym has one setting for all optionals so we don't change either. My DD has had to adapt. For her, it really is JUMP to high bar rather than lean and catch it. I don't remember mine ever being encouraged to hop up to a pull over but rather the pull up and then circle over that others have mentioned.

Now, she uses some kind of foam wedge/block type thing to start her kip from but there is still no bar change. She can do giants on the low bar setting so it's pretty high for her. But she's expected to "hang with the big girls" regardless of her height.

Now, I think it's a bit silly for the coach to be "afraid" of asking for a block to assist your daughter for now. Goodness.......

Now, I think it's a bit silly for the coach to be "afraid" of asking for a block to assist your daughter for now. Goodness.......

Dd isn't afraid to ask the coach, she just doesn't want to disturb her when she is spotting other girls, she says she doesn't want to interupt the coach incase the girl she is working with falls or gets hurt.

Dd is fine with the bar if she can reach it from the floor from tiptoes or a little jump (can only do pullovers when she can reach the bar from the floor but she is getting close to pullomg over when she has to jump to reach the bars, she can pullup and get her kness to the bar but can quite get over, but as people have said she will get there in the end) we have viewing week at the gym this week where they open the upstairs viewing area up (we have limited viewing downstairs where you can see some of the gym but not all) and you can see the entire gym, I will get a chance to watch dd's class and see for myself what is happening with dd and her bars, the coach hasn't approached me with any issue's so she must be happy with her progress otherwise I would have been told.

Do you mind me asking your DD's height? I may be misunderstanding but she cannot reach the bar at all so she jumps?

Do you mind me asking your DD's height? I may be misunderstanding but she cannot reach the bar at all so she jumps?

Dd is around 107cm tall (7 years old), she can reach the bar if the settings are at the lowest or close to it but sometimes the are set at a height where she cannot reach it even with a jump, depending on who has been using the bars before dd's group gets to them.

It isn't easy because there are some older (nearly 11) and taller girls in the group so the bar needs to be set so it is not too low for them to reach.

Dd is around 107cm tall (7 years old), she can reach the bar if the settings are at the lowest or close to it but sometimes the are set at a height where she cannot reach it even with a jump, depending on who has been using the bars before dd's group gets to them.

It isn't easy because there are some older (nearly 11) and taller girls in the group so the bar needs to be set so it is not too low for them to reach.
Gotcha...of course now I've got to convert from metric to Americanese lol. I've never seen our bars being adjusted...our level 2s and our 10s use the same settings as far as I can tell. Either that or they super flash change the settings when they alternate events. We are 38in, age 5... She kind if tip toes up to reach and she's def got a more power/"muscle-y" body type so she can get the pullover no problem. The mill circle on the other hand no way ;-). I have noticed a wedge mat off to the side that some of the little ones use occasionally...they just grab it on their own.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back