Beam at meets (help me!!!!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
I am a level 7, and I don't actually hate beam. My first meet is coming up though. At practice, I can stick a routine, but in the past I have had problems on beam at meets. (In (old) level 5 (new level 4) I was always petrified of falling on the cartwheel (which only happened once), (old) level 6 I would sometimes land my backwalkover, but get so afraid that I would lose my balance (happened twice). With the 2 backwalkover connection, bhs, and even just the full turn, I'm afraid that my fear of messing up will get in the way in level 7. Does anyone have really good advice for staying confident, especially before the routine, and during?

I don't have a whole lot of advice, but if it makes you feel better I'm in the same boat!

I remind myself of the consistantcy I have at practice. If I can stick at least 9/10 beam routines, I can definitely stick this one at competition.

Does it work? Sometimes. Is it a start? Yes.

I am a level 7, and I don't actually hate beam. My first meet is coming up though. At practice, I can stick a routine, but in the past I have had problems on beam at meets. (In (old) level 5 (new level 4) I was always petrified of falling on the cartwheel (which only happened once), (old) level 6 I would sometimes land my backwalkover, but get so afraid that I would lose my balance (happened twice). With the 2 backwalkover connection, bhs, and even just the full turn, I'm afraid that my fear of messing up will get in the way in level 7. Does anyone have really good advice for staying confident, especially before the routine, and during?
If you don't freak yourself out, you won't fall off. Unless you mess up. In your head, (this is what I do at meets) tell yourself that you won't fall off. It usually works cause if you don't then you'll probably scare yourself and fall off.

you need confidence. you can talk to yourself throughout the routine on how you know how to do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back