Parents behavior

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is 7 years old and has been in gymnastics for 3 years. She didn't know anything when she started and now is doing quite a bit. She is still in rec. The first gym we started at had no control over some of the kids and they would climb and run around. No correction. My dd was one of them. I switch gyms but my dd still will swing on the bars as she goes by them. They have the uneven bars right at the beginning of area.She doesn't run around like she used to but will go out and sit. She does get distracted very easy and talks with the other kids in her group. It is hard to keep her focus. In school she isn't like this so I don't understand why at gymnastics she does this. She says she likes it and wants to go when it is time. I even gave her a chance to quit but she doesn't want to. She does whatever is asked of her and is learning what they are working on. Any suggestions?

She sounds like my 7 yr old, (who is on team)- she cartwheels/somersaults/flips to her next station- if there is a bar to swing on as she passes, she swings on it. She is sometimes chatty too. She is 7. He coaches haven't approached me about it, she's getting all her skills and doing well, so I'll let them handle anything they need to, behavior wise. Her coaches do a great job. She's happy, having fun and enjoying gymnastics.

Adding- my kiddo is also one who is really good in school- then she gets to gym and has a lot of pent up energy. She's learning control and focus while using up the energy she's saved during the school day.

I agree with @Deleted member 18037
She is still very young, and it shouldn't be much of a concern at this point. It wouldn't hurt to remind her that while she is in class you expect her to listen and obey her coach just like she would her teachers at school. But the coach is probably used to excited kids getting a little wild during practice. At this age, kids tend to be really enthusiastic about gymnastics and sometimes they can a little overexcited during class lol.
However if she begins to exhibit these behaviors in other places like school, that might be cause for concern. My son who is 8 (turning 9) has ADHD and he exhibited a lot of these same behaviors in his gym rec classes, but it didn't stop there, he also had trouble focusing and completing work at school, even though he is highly intelligent. He is on meds now and it's made a world of difference for him, especially at school but also in his gym rec class and his piano lessons as well. But if you are just noticing the behavior at the gym, I would just take it as a bit of over excitement and not worry.

Thanks for the advice. It probably is pent up energy from a long day. Also our ride is an hour to the gym so after school it is rushing h0me and getting ready to go. I am hoping it isn't affecting her as she is still rec. Last week they learn some new stuff and she loved it. That is all she talked about. I asked her coach how she is doing and all she says is she is doing great.

Believe it or not, this is actually something we look for when identifying the most talented gymnasts. We will look for that kid that just can't see. To resist swinging or being upside down, they need to cartwheel everywhere they go and they just can't walk normally. Great gymnasts are energetic and excited to be doing gymnastics, these are the kids who don't just want to do gymnastics, they need to do gymnastics.

Once you get these kids out of the rec environment and give them the challenge of learning exciting new skills, this energy is channelled in a positive way. They learn fast and work hard.

our younger team kids have a hard time resisting swinging on that low bar as they walk past. my gymmie will do it in open gym as she's just walking by.

and yes, rec is all about fun, fun, fun....

This is totally my kid. The important things to me are that he isn't doing anything unsafe, that he isn't disobeying the coach, and that he's listening and learning and doing what the coach says. I would go so far as to say that most of the kids at his level *who love gymnastics* do this to some degree. There are a couple of kids who are doing it because mom makes them, and they may goof off some, but not really on equipment. My son is 8, just completed L5, and he's the youngest one on his team. However, even the older ones do it. Think about it from their perspective - they've been in school all day, and now they've just entered their dream playground. There's gonna be some minor goofing off if they really want to be there. Again, as long as it isn't unsafe or not doing what they're supposed to be doing. Heck, I even see the guys who are upper levels and training for Nationals do random kips on uneven bars when running from one place to the next! Why? Because they can!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back