WAG Bent arm kip deduction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The coaches tell her she is close, but they have told her this for 6 months or more. She doesn't want to muscle it up, she wants to make it with straight arms. She has gotten a lot stronger in last 6 months also. The coach has offered privates, just have not been able to schedule. I know it's hard to predict when it will happen but I really thought she would have gotten it with whole summer at gym... So I will continue to worry
Thanks all

Trying to get it with straight arms takes longer with most kids, because in trying to keep their arms straight, they push their upper body away from the bar (opposite of what is necessary). I've had those perfectionist kids who take forever to learn a kip, because they insist on keeping their arms straight. I prefer when they keep them straight when I am spotting, but muscle a few up on their own until they "get it." Once they have a muscle kip on their own, I alternate spotting and letting them work alone until they have a straight arm kip on their own (doesn't take long if the foundation has been properly laid). There are not too many skills that I like a kid to learn incorrectly and then go back and fix it, but the straight arm aspect of the kip is one of them. I don't allow any cheating on the jump position, glide-extension position and the kip action itself, but I do let them muscle over the bar a few times to get what it feels like to put it all together.

Trying to get it with straight arms takes longer with most kids, because in trying to keep their arms straight, they push their upper body away from the bar (opposite of what is necessary). I've had those perfectionist kids who take forever to learn a kip, because they insist on keeping their arms straight. I prefer when they keep them straight when I am spotting, but muscle a few up on their own until they "get it." Once they have a muscle kip on their own, I alternate spotting and letting them work alone until they have a straight arm kip on their own (doesn't take long if the foundation has been properly laid). There are not too many skills that I like a kid to learn incorrectly and then go back and fix it, but the straight arm aspect of the kip is one of them. I don't allow any cheating on the jump position, glide-extension position and the kip action itself, but I do let them muscle over the bar a few times to get what it feels like to put it all together.
My kid is "one of those kids". Took an eternity to get her first kip because she is such a perfectionist! Once she allowed herself to bend her arms, she got the kip!

And then all of a sudden last night she couldn't do but 2 kips. This kid is going to give me a coronary.
I soooooo feel your pain. As I'm sure you've seen, Puma Jr's kip has come and gone for almost ten months now..TEN!!! But overall, it is moving in the right direction. Hopefully it will be solid before its "birthday" lol! I should look up the exact date...

I soooooo feel your pain. As I'm sure you've seen, Puma Jr's kip has come and gone for almost ten months now..TEN!!! But overall, it is moving in the right direction. Hopefully it will be solid before its "birthday" lol! I should look up the exact date...

I think I would literally keel over. LOL. She's had it for months. Now all of a sudden she tells me yesterday she only made two. I blew it off and she didn't seem too concerned, but she only has two full weeks before the first real meet. And she did it just fine at the intersquad on Sunday so I'm at a loss.

*Edited to add "I blew it off" means more like I internally freaked out while telling her "oh don't worry you probably just had an off day."

I have no flipping idea how straight my kids arms are or how consistant.

But last year she missed her millcircle on every stinking warm up bar at her meets and nailed them when it counted.

I am hoping the kip goes that way.

Basically I am rooting for adrenaline. :rolleyes:

The coaches tell her she is close, but they have told her this for 6 months or more. She doesn't want to muscle it up, she wants to make it with straight arms. She has gotten a lot stronger in last 6 months also. The coach has offered privates, just have not been able to schedule. I know it's hard to predict when it will happen but I really thought she would have gotten it with whole summer at gym... So I will continue to worry
Thanks all
Sounds like good coaching to me. I tell my kids that kips are like turkeys, you have to cook them for a long time prior to eating. :) And Add,, we teach straight arms and they do take a while.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back