Parents Beth got her boot off today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

So that's good news. I know that she won't be perfect right away, but have to admit we were both taken aback when the doctor said no phy ed for two weeks. WHAT?!?! He saw the look on our faces and asked if everything was okay. I mentioned that Beth is a gymnast, has a meet in 2 and a half weeks and we were hoping she'd be able to compete (he's treated gymnasts before--had one at our club). So he said she needed to get into physical therapy right away. He looked at her calves--compared the right (injured foot) to left (uninjured)--the uninjured is much larger, so she needs PT to get them the same.

walked down the hall to the PT place--wanted to make an appt with the person who specializes in dancers and gymnasts, but she has no openings until the end of next week. Since that's WAY too long, we made an appt with another therapist--who will supposedly talk to the expert therapist for ideas specific to gymnasts.

So we're still hopeful she can compete something in Chicago in 3 weeks (bars, if nothing else), but she's now thinking that level 9 this year won't happen (I mean she could do it for her last meet of the year, but that makes no sense!). Only 3 meets left this year before State.

Great that she got her boot off! Maybe she could compete what she could for the rest of the season just to lift her spirits? I wouldn't worry about scores but if it would help her get in the game so to speak and help her get to where she needs to be mentally, it may be a good idea if at all possible.

Great that she got her boot off! Maybe she could compete what she could for the rest of the season just to lift her spirits? I wouldn't worry about scores but if it would help her get in the game so to speak and help her get to where she needs to be mentally, it may be a good idea if at all possible.

Yeah, she'll compete--probably everything by the end of February. But she'll do it as a level 8, rather than 9 (which was her goal this year).

Good to hear her boot is off.Just as you think things are going to work out there is another hurdle to overcome.It is frustrating.
I personally would ask my daughter what is more important to her.Go to that 1 Level 9 meet and may not qualify for state or finish the season and may even go to Regionals?
Level 9 is hard.

My dd doesn't compet yet but I can relate. She fell off the bars in Sept. and broke her wrist. To see your daughter get hurt and deal with the aftermath must be hard.

Good to hear her boot is off.Just as you think things are going to work out there is another hurdle to overcome.It is frustrating.
I personally would ask my daughter what is more important to her.Go to that 1 Level 9 meet and may not qualify for state or finish the season and may even go to Regionals?
Level 9 is hard.

That's what she's thinking too. Although the 8s at our gym aren't going to be able to go to Regionals starting this year (new rule our gym made last fall--I posted about it then and I"m not happy about it either. (the coaches feel Regionals at level 8 is pointless--they can't move on to Nationals or Westerns from there, so why bother going?

My dd doesn't compet yet but I can relate. She fell off the bars in Sept. and broke her wrist. To see your daughter get hurt and deal with the aftermath must be hard.

Definitely! This was her first real injury too, so it's been tough on her.

Hope she gets back to 100% quickly with therapy. I am sure it is hard for her to not make her goal of level 9, but injuries happen and put kinks in gymmies plans and she will be stronger after it all. Hugs to her. Hope she can compete in 3 weeks. At least getting to compete some will be a huge thing, especially after getting hurt.

One step forward, two steps back. I totally hear ya. Hopefully the PT is great and really knows how to work with her.

Sadly sometimes they just have to miss meets and take the time to heal 100% before pushing themselves too much.

What great news :) I know that she's probably a bit disappointed about not doing 9 this year, but it's still fab that she's able to compete (as I'm sure that she sees it that way also - gymnasts just want to compete and she'll be over the minor disappointment of not going 9 in short order when the elation of being able to get out there and do what she loves kicks in).

I hope the new PT works out wonderfully and quickly. Good luck :)

Good news for Beth that she got her cast off! It feels like a race against time with injuries when the girls are in meet season.. :( I hope that she rehabs fairly quick and is back in no time.

Maybe you could talk 1 on 1 with coach about if Beth does 8 due to her circumstances if she were to make Regionals, could she attend. Regionals would be good experience and give her experience as to what to expect if she were to make Regionals as a 9. Boo-hiss on coach's current opinion! :cool:

I'm betting Beth is the hardest worker that PT ever meets! Sending the get your strength back quick fairies!

So glad to hear that! I have faith that'll she'll get her muscles back to where they need to be. It amazes me how resilient kids are. Now that the boot is off she'll be off and running too! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back