BHS beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
Last year my dd competed a bhs step out on beam (L7). Now she is training her BHS-BHS series for L8, but she is training a 2 foot landing on both rather than the step out. It seems like I most often see the BHS step out. Is there any advantage to doing it either way (i.e. is one easier to connect higher skills to in the future levels? Or is one easier to stick?) or is it just personal preference? She does "block" in her BHS and last year sometimes seemed to take a small hop after landing her back foot and sometimes struggled with sticking it.

DD said she is wanting to do the BHS-BHS-BT dismount. I just haven't seen anyone do the 1st BHS as a 2 foot landing.

Is the whole team doing them this way, or is it just her?

The two foot landing could be a remedial phase her coaches are putting her through to correct alignment issues created by her step-out, and they'll have her switch to a step-out when they feel she's ready. It's also possible that she's shown a specific aptitude to excell with a two foot series, and she'll end up using this technique from now until eternity.

And yes, there are kids and coaches that prefer the two foot landing for the ability to quickly connect into dismounts, jumps, and big air elements. Kinda like a solution to the problems created by moving too slow during connected elements. So in this case you get the connection done before you have a chance to lose your balance.....

My coach like us to do two footed backhandsprings simply because they look harder and slightly more advanced. And in gymnastics--look is everything. So that could be why.

Is the whole team doing them this way, or is it just her?

The two foot landing could be a remedial phase her coaches are putting her through to correct alignment issues created by her step-out, and they'll have her switch to a step-out when they feel she's ready. It's also possible that she's shown a specific aptitude to excell with a two foot series, and she'll end up using this technique from now until eternity.

And yes, there are kids and coaches that prefer the two foot landing for the ability to quickly connect into dismounts, jumps, and big air elements. Kinda like a solution to the problems created by moving too slow during connected elements. So in this case you get the connection done before you have a chance to lose your balance.....

She is the only one doing the 2 foot BHS at her gym. I do know the plan is for her to compete 2 foot BHS and that her coach was excited about it, saying "Finally someone who actually tumbles on the beam."

THanks for the info on helping to quickly connect the series, I think this may be part of it for her as well as she did miss the connection requirement sometimes in L7 for moving to slowly.

My dd likes the 2 foot landing, but she says it seems harder to get confidently on the high beam as she can't rely on progressions such as the handstand BHS which she used to train with the step out BHS.

My dd explained it that with the 2 foot landing you have to commit to the 2nd BHS before you have landed the first, where with the step out you at least know you have the first foot on before going into the 2nd BHS. I'll have to admit, when she explained it like that it made it a little nerve-racking to think about...but I just said "oh, that makes sense and I bet your series will be really cool!"

She just needs to get a good first bhs, and then guide the second one straight away from where she placed her hands on the first one. I'm sure her coach can come up with a progression to help her get used to the rythym of the skill.

THanks! She's doing it on the low beam, but since its not consistent yet, she's not ready to do it on the high beam yet without mats stacked. It may be an interesting learning year in dealing with fear....but that's okay as long as it will help her long range.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back