Anon BHS requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (38b9)

Hi just a question for the veterans or coaches- what does a kid need to have to be able to learn a back handspring?

Six year old DD has a backbend kick over, back walkover, good handstand and is very strong and pretty flexible. Uptraining just began and it seems to be like the coach is basically having to support almost her entire weight through spotted standing BHS. Is this likely just getting used to the mechanics and going backwards or is she missing a prerequisite element? What do you like to see when starting work on BHS?

Thanks! (Anything she can be doing at home to be helping?)

She has to be able to jump backwards aggressively... this can be very hard for some kids. She also has to be able to control her body while in the air.

Six year old DD has a backbend kick over, back walkover, good handstand and is very strong and pretty flexible.

If she has all of this... then she probably just needs practice (repetition) to learn the skill.

I like to teach the athletes to jump backwards not only onto a mat or over a back handspring trainer... but also just a back wards jump over a line landing back on the feet. I like to see this jump slanted backwards with momentum coming out of it (walking backwards after the landing). Many kids can only jump forwards and this is an issue.

Last edited:
She has to be able to jump backwards aggressively... this can be very hard for some kids. She also has to be able to control her body while in the air.

If she has all of this... then she probably just needs practice (repetition) to learn the skill.

I like to teach the athletes to jump backwards not only onto a mat or over a back handspring trainer... but also just a back wards jump over a line landing back on the feet. I like to see this jump slanted backwards with momentum coming out of it (walking backwards after the landing). Many kids can only jump forwards and this is an issue.
I do notice she tends to jump up and not back very much. If she jumps backwards onto her bed or a mat she does fine but I
just had her try jumping backwards with a slant like you said and it’s like there’s zero power when she does that. Crazy because she can practically touch the ceiling jumping straight up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBS
1. Leg power - Explosive long jump, box jumps etc,
2. Explosive leg power to jump backwards
3. Hold hollow on the floor with back fiat in floor
4. Hold good quality tight arch in floor
5. Excellent handstand, hands correct width and direction, straight arms , tight body shoulders extended,
6. Handstand and block off hands without losing body shape
7. Excellent courbuettes and rebound of toes
8. Excellent routine off with solid courbuette and rebound

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back