Gymnasts BHS Trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymnast101

Gymnast
Can anyone tell me examples of floor routines without a back handspring? Or tips on how to be less nervous about doing BHS? ’m really close to getting it but I’m nervous about actually doing it on the floor. I am also working on my aerial if that helps. I am currently training Xcel Gold.

Last edited:
When I competed Gold I did a front pike for my first pass and a front handspring step-out to round off for my second pass. Hope this helps!

I have been a gold for the past two seasons and plenty of my teammates did not compete back handsprings

Allowed passes without bhs are (that I can think of off the top of my head):

Front tuck
Front pike
Front layout
Front handspring to a salto (or the other way around)
2 front saltos (no twisting saltos)
front salto step out to a roundoff
Front aerial
Side aerial
Roundoff (half turn), Roundoff (This counts, however it is hard to get credit for)
front handspring step out to a roundoff
front handspring step out, front handspring
roundoff to a salto (I know some people who never had back handsprings and went straight to doing back tucks and layouts, that is what most of my teammates who never had back handsprings and are training platinum working on for upgrades)

I have been a gold for the past two seasons and plenty of my teammates did not compete back handsprings

Allowed passes without bhs are (that I can think of off the top of my head):

Front tuck
Front pike
Front layout
Front handspring to a salto (or the other way around)
2 front saltos (no twisting saltos)
front salto step out to a roundoff
Front aerial
Side aerial
Roundoff (half turn), Roundoff (This counts, however it is hard to get credit for)
front handspring step out to a roundoff
front handspring step out, front handspring
roundoff to a salto (I know some people who never had back handsprings and went straight to doing back tucks and layouts, that is what most of my teammates who never had back handsprings and are training platinum working on for upgrades)
Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back