WAG Big Jump

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymlover

Gymnast
Is it possible to jump from L5 to L8? I have all my L7 skills (almost!) and have mostly all L8 skills. L8 is not much different than L7 right? These are the skills I am working on:

Vault:
handspring working on handspring full

Bars:
Working on:
Flyaway
Giant
Clear hip
Pieroette
Have:
Sole circle
Uprise
Kip
Cast to handstand

Beam:
I'm working on:
Split 1/4
BHS
Valdez
Cartwheel Back Tuck
Have:
Tic toc
BWO
Jump connection
Full turn

Floor:
I'm working on:
Layout
Front to back tumbling
FHS front layout
Switch 1/4
Have:
FHS front tuck
Back tuck
Split 1/1
Wolf 1/1
Tour jete
Switch split

Do you think I can go level 8? Are season starts in November and we do A LOT of new skills! I can do many skills that I said I'm working on almost on my own but I really want to go L8!! Please reply!

Did you mean to put this in this forum? I'm going to proceed as if you did and you are talking about the new JO changes.

My DD has many of the skills you are working and is NOT ready for L8. Given how new some of her skills are, she isn't even going to compete L7.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

A handspring vault will start from a 9.0 at L8. So this means unless you have a flipping vault, you already start the competition at a disadvantage. I guess it depends on whether you just really want to do L8 or if you want to be competitive at your level. I guess I would ask why you are anxious to do L8 as opposed to L7 as the only skill on your entire list not allowed at L7 is the BT on beam. I am not sure about Canada, but around typical L8s will compete a flipping vault, a BHS BHS series on beam, Layout fulls on floor. In addition, this year one C acro will be allowed on each event at L8 (In addition to the already allowed C skills on bars). So, there may be girls doing double back dismounts on bars, 1 1/2 twists on floor, layout full dismounts on beam, etc. My dd is doing 8 for a second year this year while she uptrains her C skills and starts working D skills for next year. This way she can compete the skills she can do confidently while working on the other skills.

You have to figure out what your 4Bs will be on each event. You are listing mostly As and working on lots of Bs. For bars, you are required to do either the pirouette, a twisting release, or a release move/bar change. So you would have to have the pirouette, which would count as one B, plus three other Bs. That flyaway is now required in L5, so I'd expect you'd have to have it as a min. dismount for L8. I expect most level 8s will be doing giants, pirouettes, free hip to HS, toe ups and possibly a double back dismount. On beam, you've listed Bs as working on only - none yet achieved. (BTW, DD tells me the split 1/4 is no longer allowed as a B with the new code - you should check with your coach.) The 8s in our gym do BHS BHS, switch split, RO BT dismount and often a back tuck to get their 4Bs. You'll take a deduction on vault for either of your listed vaults. Your floor is heavy on the dance, not on the tumbling - OK if you can get it in. You really need to chat with your coach about this - there IS a big difference between 5 and 8, and you have a lot of skills not only to get, but to master. There is a difference between theoretically having a skill, and being able to compete it in a routine, and your gym may have requirements beyond the min to compete a level. Why are you so bent on going L8? L7 has far less Bs required. Good luck.

A handspring vault will start from a 9.0 at L8. So this means unless you have a flipping vault, you already start the competition at a disadvantage. I guess it depends on whether you just really want to do L8 or if you want to be competitive at your level. I guess I would ask why you are anxious to do L8 as opposed to L7 as the only skill on your entire list not allowed at L7 is the BT on beam. I am not sure about Canada, but around typical L8s will compete a flipping vault, a BHS BHS series on beam, Layout fulls on floor. In addition, this year one C acro will be allowed on each event at L8 (In addition to the already allowed C skills on bars). So, there may be girls doing double back dismounts on bars, 1 1/2 twists on floor, layout full dismounts on beam, etc. My dd is doing 8 for a second year this year while she uptrains her C skills and starts working D skills for next year. This way she can compete the skills she can do confidently while working on the other skills.
A cross reply. My sentiments exactly.

I have almost all my b's on bars. Also is it ok to only have b dance on floor. If I go level7, I will probably have more than 2 bs is this ok

In theory, you could put together a routine that was all Bs in dance. BUT, you may take deductions on the artistry, etc. for not having enough variety, etc. You require three saltos, and at least two in one pass. So, you could do a front to back and a RO BHS BLO, or that with a FHS FT, but again, the girls you compete against would be beyond you, I suspect. As for extra Bs in your L7 routine, yes, that can happen without penalty, but with the added risk of more deductions because of the extra skills. You haven't said why you want to do L8. Is it just to say you are doing L8 or is there some other reason? Kids in our gym working on the same skills as you won't be competing L8. They are hoping to do L6 or L7. If they are younger they might be hoping to do CPN Aspire.

Yes you can have more B's than the required minimum. Many gymnasts do at L7. Also the B and C skills are much harder to learn and take much more time to master. So while it may look like on paper that there is not a big jump between the optional levels, it is in reality a huge jump. For instance the girls at our gym who are training L8 already have their giants and Layout flyaway on bars consistently so that their training time is focusing on cleaning up things and getting the pirouette clean and connected to everything else and working on getting their clearhip to HS.
And, if you look longterm, the jump from minimum requirements for L8 to being competitive at L9 is HUGE. So while you could possibly meet minimum requirements for L8 this year, you would likely be doing L8 for At least 2 years (and likely more) before you would be ready for L9.

Have you found that info somewhere? A link? I tried to find it on GO website but that place is awful for seeking out specific info IMHO. Thanks!
I've never seen it, and I think I've been over that entire site twice :). Gymlover, you should be aware that the full new program is NOT on GO's website. The devil is in the details, and not yet public (well coaches, gyms may have it). I would expect that Ontario will have some mobility rules moving forward, so don't be surprised if it happens.

my experience is that it takes about 6 months for a kid to "have" a skill and be ready to "compete" the skill. In that 6 months, form is tweaked, consistency is developed, and the connections between the prior skill and the next skill are strengthened.

imho, if you barely "have" the skills, you aren't ready to "compete" them in November.

Is there a reason you are pushing for L8? A friend? Bragging rights? Scheduling? Because it might be more fun to be L7 (or lower) and be successful than to just be L8 for the sake of it ... and be at the bottom of the pack.

It is because of mobility rules. How will these affect provincal or state competions
Now I am confused. A couple of times in this thread you've indicated there ARE NO mobility rules. Myself and others have asked how you know this, but you haven't said, other than "its on the requirements", but we don't know what requirements you are referring to. Now you are indicating the reason you want to do L8 is because of mobility rules? In previous years (including the one just over) mandatory mobility rules only applied to the top few competitors at each level. So you don't have to consider that if you weren't one of those. For Level 5, it is the top 8, and the only requirement there is that they MUST move up, it doesn't specify/limit only the next level. Other mobility really refers to people wanting to switch levels mid year. You'll have to explain more what you are trying to accomplish if you want more help. This whole thing just really sounds strange to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back