WAG Bigger Straddles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l_gymnast

Gymnast
Does anyone have any stretches that can help achieve a wider straddle. I have trouble stretching my legs out in a straddle jump/ side leap giving it a "closed" look. Thanks in advance!

Sit in a straddle on the ground, bend forward (so your belly touches the ground
dc6f56007087799b473aabe9a3f517d1--gymnastics-stretches-cheer-stretches.jpg
). Then sit like that for a while and after a while, try straddling your legs a bit more. You can also have someone sit on your back and lift your legs up, or have your legs on chairs (like this:
10953055_780983825313587_2144220679_n.jpg
, but not in a split so with your butt a bit more backward

How is your straddle in a sitting down stretch? Sometimes, people have a good sitting straddle stretch but can't get the same extension in a leap or jump. In order to get a big straddle in a leap or jump, you will need to work on active straddle flexibility. Some exercises that can help with that:

-use a beam, barre, or any other large stable object for balance and do fast sideways kicks. Make sure your legs stay straight and your chest stays tall.

-straddle jumps on trampoline, working on snapping your legs up fast and snapping them together fast

-with hands on a beam or block about belly-button-height, lean forward so you can support yourself and snap your legs up to a straddle and back down.

-lying down with your feet in the air straight above your bottom, open your legs to a straddle quickly and then close them again

In my experience, active flexibility takes a long time to build, and trying to rush it doesn't help much. You can try taking a picture/video of your straddle jump or leap now, and then take one again in 2 or 3 months and see if there's a difference.

How is your straddle in a sitting down stretch? Sometimes, people have a good sitting straddle stretch but can't get the same extension in a leap or jump. In order to get a big straddle in a leap or jump, you will need to work on active straddle flexibility. Some exercises that can help with that:

-use a beam, barre, or any other large stable object for balance and do fast sideways kicks. Make sure your legs stay straight and your chest stays tall.

-straddle jumps on trampoline, working on snapping your legs up fast and snapping them together fast

-with hands on a beam or block about belly-button-height, lean forward so you can support yourself and snap your legs up to a straddle and back down.

-lying down with your feet in the air straight above your bottom, open your legs to a straddle quickly and then close them again

In my experience, active flexibility takes a long time to build, and trying to rush it doesn't help much. You can try taking a picture/video of your straddle jump or leap now, and then take one again in 2 or 3 months and see if there's a difference.

My straddle on the ground is good in the sense that I can lay with my stomach to the ground and to my legs but its not wide at all... Its almost as if my glutes are very tight. I will try these as they sound helpful, thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back