Parents Booster 501c3 Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IMO pay the $700 and run! I really hate how our gym has a 501c booster and would definitely pay that much to not have to participate in mine - especially if that includes your meet assessments and you don't have to give them any additional money besides for tuition and maybe apparel.

I am really considering just paying the $700. But what gets me is that the $700 only covers coaches fees and team stuff like parties and trophies and gifts for the girls. Meets fees are an additional $800ish. I think they overinflated the cost of assessment fees to push people to join the booster club and volunteer. Our gym hosts 5 meets a year including a state meet so we always need people. Last year most parents did volunteer but of course there were a few who didn't so I think that is why the board decided to implement these changes. And this is an Xcel only gym, but I swear I think some of these parents think their kids are Olympic bound one day.

I thought that booster club money couldn't be just for members of the booster club anyway, because then you're essentially raising money for yourself. I thought the booster had to raise money for the team?

The booster club at dd's gym is optional to join but money only goes to those in the booster club who meet their requirements of fundraising. I thought that was one things they were doing that was not allowed. Am I wrong?

You are totally accurate. That is not allowed. Booster non-profit guidelines I've read (not gym based, it was for an independent school) only allow you to raise money for the group they support and their own admin costs (including a portion for salary support if you run that way).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back