WAG Bulging disc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have just received the report for an MRI that I got Friday for my lower back. Obviously I will be seeing my orthopedic doctor and will listen to whatever he tells me, but I wanted to hear any success stories with this injury.

I have been diagnosed with normal lumbar lordosis and a posterior annulus bulge at the L4/5. I am very happy that there was no evidence found of spondylolisthesis, but am worried about my back.

Has anyone on CB dealt with a bulging disc? If so, were you/your daughter able to return to gymnastics after with or without surgery? Are you still in pain?

Thanks in advance

I've had trouble with my L5 for years and I maintain it with the help of a Gonstead-trained chiropractor. My Gonstead chiropractor treats only the L5 portion of my vertebrae. When my L5 really gets out of whack I will need a number of sessions for about a 1-2 week period and then the sessions taper off considerably and becomes a regular maintenance issue which I presume would vary depending on the case. (Full disclosure: I do not regularly maintain my L5 these days. I should, but I have had no issues nor the time recently) I subscribe to their philosophy of treating the back as an alternative to orthopedic medicine. Not sure where you live by I've attached a link to their website if interested in finding a Gondstead chiropractor in your area.

http://gonstead.com/find-a-gonstead-doctor/

Good luck with your back.

Sorry to drag up this thread, but I was hoping for more responses. If anyone/anyone's DD/DS has had a bulging disc, please let me know how it's doing!! I would love to hear any stories because there's not a whole lot of information out there about this injury for gymnasts and I really don't want this to end my gymnastics if at all possible.

I know this isn't what you are looking for as I am not a gymnast. However, I know far too much about bulging discs. I had a bulging disk in my 20s with on and off pain. I kept beating on it (ski jumping, weight lifting, mountain biking) and eventually in my 30s needed surgery. I have two bulging discs above it and I am gentler on them now. I am still very active, but more careful. These discs have been bulging and pain free for 15 years now. I expect I'll be fine.

As a gymnast, you are beating on your bulging disc. I highly, highly recommend doing the ELDOA exercise for L4/L5 a few times a week. This takes on minute. Google ELDOA for info. Here is a sample of the video for L4/L5, but you can find others:

Thank you so much for the response!! That is very helpful. I will look into those exercises! I have taken almost 2 months off of gymnastics because of this and the fact that you are pain free as an adult is very encouraging. Thanks again! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back