Anon Can daughter be platinum next season?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous (329e)
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (329e)

My daughter is going into her second season of Xcel Gold gymnastics. She hopes to be moved up to platinum next year. What skills will she need/do you think it's realistic?
Skills she has:
Floor she has ROBH and ROBHBH, front tuck, front handspring, front handspring step-out roundoff, ariel on tumble track, and has worked a couple ROBH tucks with spot.
Beam she has cartwheel, handstand, split jump/straight jump, full turn, 1.5 turn but not consistent, and back walkover, again not consistent, but this time due to back problems.
Vault all she has is front handspring over table.
Bars she has both low bar and high bar kips but they need to be cleaned up, single and double back hip circle, started working free hips but not close yet, squat on + catch high bar, and worked on flyaway a little during the summer and not too far from getting that.
From what I'm thinking floor is where she needs to work the most? Her back tumbling isn't as good as she would like and her coach keeps her from practicing ROBH tucks very much until her double back handspring is cleaned up.
What skills does she need to get? Is this a realistic goal for her? She has about a year to do this, but her gym generally only works upgrades in the summer, and even then don't rush it very much.

I really recommend talking to the coach about her goals. Every gym has different standards and considerations for this. From my perspective, she could absolutely be ready for platinum next year as the requirements are pretty flexible, but there are so many other things gyms can take into consideration beyond a list of skills.

Vault - many platinums don't compete 10.0 SV vaults, so she could compete just a handspring but at least working on twisting vaults (haf on/ handspring on to half/full off)

Bars - Free hips, flyaways are not necessary for platinum, but are very useful

Beam - work on connecting handstand to a cartwheel or back walkover, work on a salto dismount (front/back tuck; also not required, but useful)

Floor - Front pikes or front handspring front tucks/front fronts, rbh tucks, working on "B" turns and switch leaps (no "B" dance elements are required in platinum, but are useful)

Another thing I would mention, while what I listed above would help her get higher SV in platinum, your gym might have other requirements to move up, so also check in with them as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News