WAG Can I post this? 3yr old gymnast on Ellen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A 3 year old having fear of the high beam, hmm...would that not be deemed 'normal' in terms of developmental?
Perhaps our gym is behind the times, but I have yet to see 3 year olds on high beams there. When my child was 3, she thought that amounted to "walking the plank..."

Absolutely no need for a 3 year old to go on high beam. And if they are on a high beam they don't need to do skills like handstands. Not yet. It is inexperienced coaching really to think they do. People forget that while a child may present as developmentally ahead in one area they are likely quite normal in others and even may be behind in some.

Adult gym is rare here, unfortunately, there are a few classes but it's not at most gyms.

I am more concerned about gym coaches that she has, teaching her back bends and back handsprings at three years old. She still has a toddler body. Her arms are even long enough to prevent her head hitting the tramp or mat. Major Accident waiting to happen

i want everyone to understand that you meant "arms AREN'T even long enough", etc;

the video looks all cute and all. what gymgal said...

i want everyone to understand that you meant "arms AREN'T even long enough", etc;

the video looks all cute and all. what gymgal said...
Yes, thank you for catching my error. Definitely meant "are NOT long enough"

Reactions: sce
Yes, thank you for catching my error. Definitely meant "are NOT long enough"

Actually the chucking herself off the end of a track to land on her head in the pit scared me more than the back handsprings. I have known people break ankles and elbows landing awkwardly in a pit. To jump up and land straight down on your head! Incredibly dangerous and the chortling adults in the background sealed it, I mean wow. Good grief. How do the coaches think that is OK. In my gym there would be coaches sprinting to the spot if it happened by accident. Not laughing in the background. I wouldn't want my kid at a gym like that.

I still don't use my kids name or location on public media and my kids are all over 10. I use it for family and friends......

Once a kid needs to make a name for themselves for college recruitment, or elite status, that's different but then again we are talking L10 or so........but to put names and gyms etc, for little kids? Gives me the willies!

So many parents just cannot resist the urge for internet fame. But they have no idea about the dark side to it. Nasty, creepy and ugly. Even for adults fame is not the nice thing that people think it is. Really kids should not be out there. There is a reason we talk about f'ed up child television stars. That is because fame ruins childhoods, usually because of overzealous parents.

Toss in a few coaches who think they found the next Simone, and you get a whole generation of this.

Last edited:
Ouch, the last 50 seconds made me cringe so much! I know my DD's history made me super sensitive to everything back-related, but 12 backbends in a row can't be healthy for a 4 year old.
I didn't even think about that! There are a few 4 year olds who train with the L3s at DD's gym who do this....

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back