Parents Can someone clear this up for me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
The only time I ever heard at our gym that the coach considered moving a girl back was when a new girl came in. She had competed level 9 at old gym but it was obvious that she wasn't safe in doing several skills. Coaches decided to give her 6 months before petitioning USAG for a level change (she came in for privates, etc). Ended up being able to compete level 9 again at a level that the coaches were comfortable with. Any other girl at DD's gym that struggled just remained at that level for another season. Can't understand the purpose of moving someone back.

I can open a new topic...DD struggled on vault(lean, thin, not enough power for vault). They stopped paying attention to her vault about 2 years ago. She competed lvl 6 and was told that she'll be training vault with lvl 4 this year. Yes, there are others, but I don't know exact challenges they have. I did ask about vault. A beginner coach told me that she doesn't know why my DD is good on drills but not able to have a good event. She still scores 8's and some 9's, but they don't think she'll be able to do Yurchenko and not training her that.

I can open a new topic...DD struggled on vault(lean, thin, not enough power for vault). They stopped paying attention to her vault about 2 years ago. She competed lvl 6 and was told that she'll be training vault with lvl 4 this year. Yes, there are others, but I don't know exact challenges they have. I did ask about vault. A beginner coach told me that she doesn't know why my DD is good on drills but not able to have a good event. She still scores 8's and some 9's, but they don't think she'll be able to do Yurchenko and not training her that.

I can't imagine why a yurchenko was even brought up in level 6 as a lot can change from there...

Reactions: sce

Her scores are fine, good grief! She won't need to do a Yurchenko for a while, and even then there are so many other options, like a front-front, or she can do Tsuks (saw some in the Olympic finals). Until level 8, they do handspring vaults. My daughter could not do a Yurchenko, and she was a level 10 for 4 years. She competed Tsuks and scored 9.3s-9.45s. She was also training a front-front and it was awesome (but she got injured and never got to compete it). I can't up understand why they stopped paying attention to her vault. That shows a serious lack of understanding of the sport. Just because she can't do it now, has nothing to do with the future.

when a few children struggle......(this is usually when coaches start given the kid a hard time hoping they will leave)
Indeed, that may be true. just curious, does it happen often? It seems that one has to make it to lvl 9/10 in order to have experienced creative coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back