Can't get her kip! Driving me crazy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I have this girl, 10 years old and super tiny who is very talented and has great form, but CANNOT get her kip. She started learning them in May, and since the summer she has been very close, but no luck yet. I though she was going to get it this past Monday, then Wednesday, then today, but she hasn't yet. I have never seen anybody so close to their kip before, every time she looks like she will get it up. It almost looks like the kip of someone who cant do one, but missed. All this is in straps, but she needs it in her routine on the real bar by the beginning of December at the very latest. She has her first competition on December 10th and she needs her kip! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!

Is it a low bar kip? I would say get her to practice more on the girls bar so she learns to shift her wrists. I know that when I do kips on the mens bar sometimes i feel that my shoulders will shift forward too fast and I'll go over the bar (haha I'm a little crazy). Sometimes with really little ones I like to put a 30cm mat under the bar to remind them to keep their feet up in the glide and finish that before they snap their feet up. Definately watch these videos if you haven't yet

The Kipping Process Part I - YouTube

The Kipping Process parts II and III - YouTube

If its not a strength problem... I would just say do the numbers- both with spot and without. Get her to do lots of visualisation as well

Make sure she is extending the glide/float part of the kip. Just do hundreds of glides/floats on their own.
You can hold a hula hoop and she has to extend her legs through it before returning to a springboard.
Head position is really important too. She mustn't throw her head back as she pikes to the bar.
The videos posted above are amazing - my gymnasts all learned to kip through doing those exercises over and over again.
Drop kips are a really useful exercises (no cast, literally drop back from front support to pike and finish the kip) All my gymnasts have to do 10 of these in their warm up every session (with support if they don't have their kip, without if they do!)
The kip, as I'm sure you know is all about the timing, so the more she can do with support to feel the correct timing, the better!
My gymnasts mostly learned theirs on the wooden bar, however, two learned it on the shiny bar first. It really gave them a confidence boost knowing they had achieved it, before trying it on wooden bar.
Other than all of that, Are you able to post a video at all?

Besides doing lots of drop kips and spotting the entire kip in slow-mo (I've taken to doing this which takes a lot of my time but oh well).

I also like to tell the gymnasts they have to believe they can get up on top of the bar. Visualizing helps to some degree but they have to "want and believe" it not just "want" it.

I wish I had this kind of time to condition my kids. I work in a rec only gym and I only get these kids for an hour or so a week! I try to get them to come in to our skills and drills classes and open gym and some do. Still, I haven't had a new kipper yet! Some are very close but it's really hard with such limited time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back