WAG Changing gyms at the optional level(s)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
What are legitimate reasons for changing gyms? We are blessed in our area with several successful gyms. However the current gym has experienced some changes and we are considering another gym that has very successful gymnasts particularly at the higher levels. Obviously there isn't a perfect gym for every situation. We are struggling with the decision of leaving what we know, but has some issues and going to what appears a better situation/gym. Thoughts??

1. Discuss your issues with the HC/staff to see if the issues can be remedied

2. If above fails, it is expected that you do the best thing for your daughter. Sometimes people outgrow a gym. But to think the grass looks greener on the other side is not always the reality. Every gym has their vices.

3. How does your athlete feel about her situation? Is she still comfortable with her coaches/training/progress? If so, why are you thinking about leaving? If not, have you spoken to her coaches? Has it helped, if not, it may be time to look elsewhere.

No one can help you with this decision. Just be sure you have exhausted your possibilities with your current gym before heading out on a trial somewhere. Some gyms do not take fondly to any athlete, but more specifically to an upper level athlete trying other gyms.

My 2 cents:
Leave on the best terms possible, if that ends up being your decision. Thank the staff & owner for the opportunities afforded to your athlete thus far. Most good coaches will have their feelings hurt (as we invest a lot of time & energy into the kids-ESP if they are at optional levels) BUT my concern is for the athlete to LOVE gym & excel in the sport. If that needs to be elsewhere, so be it.

Good Luck!

Coach/gymnast relationship that remains unresolved after repeated attempts to fix it.

Coaches that are incapable of coaching the child's level

The program's goals don't match the childs

The program is more talk and less walk

We are struggling with the same thing right now. The situation is even more complicated as I have been very involved in the current gym for several years and genuinely like the owner/coaches/manager. And the other gym is a brand new gym. HC of new gym has good track record with gymnasts, but new gym can be risky. I really wish it wasn't all so murky right now. We have been struggling with this decision all summer and we know we need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks to either commit for the upcoming season or leave. We have already sat down and talked with owner to discuss/resolve issues, but there is nothing that is a quick fix, so now we have to decide if we believe things will improve over the competition season or not.

There are many legit reasons to change gyms but the one that has forced my hand, especially with upper level gymnast daughters, was the lack of coaching for their level, and no resolution in sight at the gym we were at...and several years after we left our original gym , my move remains validated because they never replaced their Level 10 coaches , and they never had another 10 in that gym...

There are many legit reasons to change gyms but the one that has forced my hand, especially with upper level gymnast daughters, was the lack of coaching for their level, and no resolution in sight at the gym we were at...and several years after we left our original gym , my move remains validated because they never replaced their Level 10 coaches , and they never had another 10 in that gym...

Completely agree with above -- coaching was our key reason to change at the optional level. We really liked the owners, but they weren't willing to invest in resources like they needed to. Equipment is another consideration - especially for optionals. The newer gym may have more pits, cameras, belts, etc. that can help with development.

I've said this in other threads, but if you're really thinking about making a change ... it's probably time to make a change. You can just tell.

Completely agree with above -- coaching was our key reason to change at the optional level. We really liked the owners, but they weren't willing to invest in resources like they needed to. Equipment is another consideration - especially for optionals. The newer gym may have more pits, cameras, belts, etc. that can help with development.

I've said this in other threads, but if you're really thinking about making a change ... it's probably time to make a change. You can just tell.

This has been my mantra as well...I say when you start even thinking about a change, it's probably about a year overdue...

Such a hard one. I live by the mantra "Sometimes, you gotta dance with the one that brung ya" but everyone wants the best for their kid. I agree with the above posters that say a gym change is warranted if there are legitimate issues that cannot be resolved. I do not believe that just because a gym has not had an elite or high level gymnast that they are not capable of doing so, but need to be on the same page as the gymnast/parents. I would definitely recommend having an honest discussion with HC and see what can be done.

Such a hard one. I live by the mantra "Sometimes, you gotta dance with the one that brung ya" but everyone wants the best for their kid. I agree with the above posters that say a gym change is warranted if there are legitimate issues that cannot be resolved. I do not believe that just because a gym has not had an elite or high level gymnast that they are not capable of doing so, but need to be on the same page as the gymnast/parents. I would definitely recommend having an honest discussion with HC and see what can be done.

While your quote may be true Newtogym, the point of my comment was that our original gym HAD coaches that could coach level 10s but when they left, they thought any coach who walked through their door could coach level 10 as well, and that just isn't true. Sometimes a gym can operate out of their comfort zone and coach kids at higher levels but if I were moving to a gym with an upper level gymnast, it would not be to a gym that had never produced one..

While your quote may be true Newtogym, the point of my comment was that our original gym HAD coaches that could coach level 10s but when they left, they thought any coach who walked through their door could coach level 10 as well, and that just isn't true. Sometimes a gym can operate out of their comfort zone and coach kids at higher levels but if I were moving to a gym with an upper level gymnast, it would not be to a gym that had never produced one..

Yes, but do you leave a gym that got your child to optionals because they don't have high level optional gymnasts? that is more what I was referring to. Sometimes it is a catch 22.

Thanks for the replies, they are all helpful. We have met with the head coach/owner a few times. Our gym has level 10's and the head coach has previously coached Elites. The major concern is the attitude/direction of the gym. There has been a ton of growth in all areas (rec, compulsory, excel and optional) and a good amount of success. Because of the growth some of the direction/focus seems to have shifted. And while we are happy for the gym and supportive, ultimately our first concern is the best situation for our daughter. I somewhat agree with the comment "when you start thinking about changing, it's probably overdue". We recently brought my daughter into the conversation. Her best friend/team mate has tried out at the "other" gym and is most likely leaving. But my daughter thinks she wants to stay at her current gym, she loves her teammates and coaches. She is still young so we are thinking we will give them another competition season. They have promised a new schedule/focus beginning with the school year, so we are hopeful that will help.

Yes, but do you leave a gym that got your child to optionals because they don't have high level optional gymnasts? that is more what I was referring to. Sometimes it is a catch 22.

To answer your question, yes, if they don't have coaches who can coach higher level (i.e.9 and 10) optionals...just geting you there to optionals (level 7) doesn't warrant a free pass if they're never going to step up to the plate and get coaching necessary for level 10....it's your money to do with as you wish but in the end , I'm a customer at the gym, and the service provided to me is the necessary coaching for my Level 10 daughter...if Gym A can only provide coaching up til Level 8, I'm ok with that and will move on to a gym that can fill my needs.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NewtoGym

To answer your question, yes, if they don't have coaches who can coach higher level (i.e.9 and 10) optionals...just geting you there to optionals (level 7) doesn't warrant a free pass if they're never going to step up to the plate and get coaching necessary for level 10....it's your money to do with as you wish but in the end , I'm a customer at the gym, and the service provided to me is the necessary coaching for my Level 10 daughter...if Gym A can only provide coaching up til Level 8, I'm ok with that and will move on to a gym that can fill my needs.

I wanted to add a bit to the notion that a coach who's never coached upper levels can grow into that role. This is how it works. Coaches start out somewhere, and end up either coaching lower or upper levels. I don't think it's rocket science to coach L9 and L10 kids, but it aint easy to do it well. The bottom line is not that everyone can coach the upper levels, but that it's not that difficult to put together a situation where kids can train with genuine, realistic hopes of making it to those levels.

In the instance of a compulsory gymnast working through the compulsory levels at a gym with a fine compulsory program and only a smattering of L7 and L8 kids....... how can you tell if they can grow with your child as she transitions into optionals? Consider the program's history. If they've been around for more than 5 years they should have a number of kids at L7 and L8, plus a few or more training to compete as L9's.

If your child is in a gym that's been in business for 10 years (random number over five), and has a coach who's been there for three years, you should have a well populated and thriving optional program.

So you can hope that the gym will "be there" for your daughter when she's ready for optionals, but you can't ignore the facts presented to you by the gym's or coach's history.

If your child is in a gym that's been in business for 10 years (random number over five), and has a coach who's been there for three years, you should have a well populated and thriving optional program.

So you can hope that the gym will "be there" for your daughter when she's ready for optionals, but you can't ignore the facts presented to you by the gym's or coach's history.[/QUOTE]

Iwannacoach, you took the words right out of my mouth! In our original gym, we WANTED to stay (and stayed a year longer than we should have) because they had "gotten her there" but then 3 out of the 5 level 10 coaches left, and were replaced by girls who had been coaching rec the week before (!!) , and after talking to the gym owner and HC , they felt that now that my daughter already WAS a level 10 , she didn't need the same type of coaches who got her there and Susie from the rec side would suffice, case closed...we left the next week...

And before you ask, the HC wasn't a level 10 coach (level 7 was pushing it for him) so staying with just him wasn't an option either..

IWC - good advice. Bookworm - my questions wasn't directed at you, but more just my thoughts currently. I didn't mean to take over this thread. Just an interesting aspect of gymnastics that many families probably go through. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back