WAG Chow files a lawsuit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Having my dd at a gym that had a former coach start a team program less than 10 miles away, that gym actively recruit gymnasts from our team, actively go after other coaches with offers of more and more money, a car, and offering free tuition, discount tuition for girls that move over there, I can totally understand a non-compete clause in gymnastics. The "product" is training, and when you invest months or years into a gymnast or coach and get them to a high level of skill, and they go across town and take their skill there to help someone else gain financially and reputationally, it hurts your business. I think a non-compete clause is a good thing. It usually has a time and/or distance restriction, which protects your business from loss of revenue and helps keep local drama at a minimum. But that's just me.

I am not a coach but i have a feeling that most coaches aren't being lured like NBA players with cars money and free tuition or they would be driving better cars :). I am almost certain this wasn't the case here with this rec coach.

Well, it certainly is an intriguing situation. I am sure there is a very interesting story here, but one that we minions will likely never know the details of...unless it doesn't get thrown out or settled and we can see the public record. I do love a good mystery!!! :D

I didn't say it was the case. I said I was from a gym that had this happen. I can understand the lawsuit and non-compete clauses after having been through this. I can just hear the sneer in your typing. And coaches don't pay tuition. I am just understanding the situation better than those who haven't had things like this happen.

I didn't say it was the case. I said I was from a gym that had this happen. I can understand the lawsuit and non-compete clauses after having been through this. I can just hear the sneer in your typing. And coaches don't pay tuition. I am just understanding the situation better than those who haven't had things like this happen.

No sneer intended, just my poor attempt at humor. I do think a non-compete is valid and reasonable in certain circumstances. I also believe that competition is a good thing. If I am not happy with the training my child is receiving it is good to have the option to go elsewhere.

i think that where there is smoke...there is fire. and it won't be in the coach's house...:)

the "trade secrets" he learned from the Chinese training system will be thrown out. there is no "secret sauce" in gymnastics. the techniques and the teaching thereof are universal. they are not patented or trademarked pharmaceuticals, etc;

the part he will get them on is solicitation...:)

and there was no solicitation. :)

Having my dd at a gym that had a former coach start a team program less than 10 miles away, that gym actively recruit gymnasts from our team, actively go after other coaches with offers of more and more money, a car, and offering free tuition, discount tuition for girls that move over there, I can totally understand a non-compete clause in gymnastics. The "product" is training, and when you invest months or years into a gymnast or coach and get them to a high level of skill, and they go across town and take their skill there to help someone else gain financially and reputationally, it hurts your business. I think a non-compete clause is a good thing. It usually has a time and/or distance restriction, which protects your business from loss of revenue and helps keep local drama at a minimum. But that's just me.
I know of a big team in my area... lost quite a few low level compulsories shortly after States one year to a new gym... I only know because 2 of the girls HAD been on our team, but left ... then left the big gym for a smaller one... now one of the girls is back with us and I was searching for her on MyMeetScores (and saw the other girl that was on our team and five or six others that did it too). This smaller gym is trying to recruit our L7/8... offering her a scholarship, etc. She is staying with us at least through high school gymnastics because it would be awkward to leave the gym she has been at since she was 3 for another gym, just to come back for High School gymnastics in 2 years.
The gym in question is a cheer and gymnastics gym... they are getting a new facility in hopes of attracting higher level girls (right now, they have L3-L4 and Xcel Gold). Our girl would be their only higher level Optional - another reason she isn't leaving us!

It's about JO Nationals being in Des Moines next year. I just did a quick glance, but didn't look like anything on the lawsuit.

Old habits die hard. I used to be an active member of a current events forum and it was verboten to post a link without an excerpt or summary of the article. I've just been conditioned, I guess. LOL

Not a bad idea actually.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News