Parents Olympian files lawsuit against USAG physician

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Holy crap, do you guys know how hard it is to fire a tenured professor? I have never seen it happen this fast. Never.

Agreed. This means they know he is guilty, and have enough evidence to protect themselves from him.

As fas as I'm aware, he was not a tenured professor. He was on a "fixed-term appointment" according to this article. Not sure what that actually means, but probably easier to get out of than tenured. Apparently, he didn't abide by the parameters/safeguards set up after the 2014 investigation and that appears to be the grounds for termination (among other things).

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...r-facing-sexual-assault-allegations/90742514/

As fas as I'm aware, he was not a tenured professor. He was on a "fixed-term appointment" according to this article. Not sure what that actually means, but probably easier to get out of than tenured. Apparently, he didn't abide by the parameters/safeguards set up after the 2014 investigation and that appears to be the grounds for termination (among other things).

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...r-facing-sexual-assault-allegations/90742514/

Ah, that makes more sense.

One of the more disturbing things in that story is that the prosecutor who decided in 2014 not to file charges against him is himself in hot water and facing prostitution-related charges.

I can't believe he is still working at Twisters! I would think that USAG could drop them as a member club for employing a predator like him. Well I think they SHOULD do that anyway.

Bolded the important thing. Any safe adult would not want to be alone with a child, to protect them both. An adult who constructs their time with a child in a way that they are alone is questionable, to say the least.

I have volunteered in schools for many years, If I am alone with a child in a class room, I sit within view of the door, and leave the door wide open. I also sit across the desk from the child, not next to them.

Exactly. I work at the gym, and all the time I get called from the office to take Suzy who's 3 or 4 to the bathroom when mom is no where to be found. I literally stand at the door, with it propped open but I'm blocking the view in, and let the child go by themselves.

At our old gym it was a shared building so we had a two child to the bathroom policy, if one needed to go they took a friend, or an older gymnast.

I am just wondering how many of the well-known supporters he has will 'catch on' and see the situation for what it is? Protect the children at ALL costs. The adults can protect themselves. Isn't the writing on the wall?

I think when it comes to mental toughness versus abuse there is a line, and sometimes parents just don't see it. How many have gyms with a closed door policy? How will parents know it isn't just 5 push-ups and a rope climb versus being physically abused to screamed at? Throwing things at a child at practice? Not acceptable. But then, if that is the gym's culture and parents can't view practice, the kids likely think that is acceptable.
I'm not surprised by it one bit. There have also been numerous complaints made to USAG about abusive coaching tactics of certain coaches that fall into the mental and tipping on the physical realm (throwing mats and pit blocks at a kids head files under the abuse category to me) and USAG ignores it. It's almost like they believe that they are above the law or repercussions of abuse of any kind. No abuse, whether sexual, physical or mental should be a tolerated practice technique in any sport, ever. It really bothers me that in any other area an abuser would be immediately removed from practicing, can you imagine a teacher behaving this way and not be in trouble? .

So a 16 year old girl and her mom reported him to the police in 2004 - and he wasn't charged and was allowed to keep doing this crap for 12 more years?! It's almost as if no one would listen unless it was an actual Olympian who complained :(.

I saw an article that said the Jane Doe came to the realization that it was time to speak up after a reunion in San Jose at trails. Makes me wonder if the "athlete concerns" that led the USAG to remove him in 2015 came from someone other than the 2 initial accusers in the first IndyStar report.

So a 16 year old girl and her mom reported him to the police in 2004 - and he wasn't charged and was allowed to keep doing this crap for 12 more years?! It's almost as if no one would listen unless it was an actual Olympian who complained :(.

I saw an article that said the Jane Doe came to the realization that it was time to speak up after a reunion in San Jose at trails. Makes me wonder if the "athlete concerns" that led the USAG to remove him in 2015 came from someone other than the 2 initial accusers in the first IndyStar report.
I definitely think it was a combination of the reunion, as well as the allegations that came out early August....things were starting to really be out in the open, and relevant and in the current news, it made a perfect opportunity for the girls to finally start speaking up (and being heard this time).

And when folks tell me I couldn't go to a travel meet with my kid. Yeah ummmm when hell freezes over will my kid go anywhere without me being able to pop in.

Why wouldn't you be able to go to a travel meet? Short of being on the national team, I can't imagine not being *expected* to go to travel meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back