Christmas on the Chesapeake Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippersmom

It was nice to get to meet Netty and Switfli!

I must say, and I'm sure they'll agree, that was one tough judged meet. It seemed consistent though, and that's good. DD still managed place well, even though her AA was done about 1.5. She was 2nd on beam, 6th on UB, 6th on FX (I think) and 7th AA.

Bars were horribly slippery for our girls. DD fell in warm-up after tap swings, came done head first and broke her fall with her knee. I didn't even know until she came into awards. I thought it was because she got her first 7 (7.7) on bars, but she has a nice little bump on her head now. Teammate fell from baby giant (also during warm-ups), somehow head first, whacking her hips somehow and skinning her legs. I, somehow, also missed that one. She couldn't even stand up for a few minutes after it happened. So, the probably played it a little safe on bars, but I don't think any of us were going to complain at that point.

Oh well, onto practice for the next meet. At least team awards weren't until the last session so there were no trophy dilemas, although we probably didn't have to worry about it at this meet!

Katy's old gym went to this meet. I just heard the reports today (they all competed yesterday). Scores were notoriously LOW!!! Tough meet from what I understand. One of the L7's fell off on bars as well (she NEVER does that). She scored a 4.7!!!!! She usually gets 9's!!!! WOW!!!! Can't wait to see the official score reports... I want to see how Katy's current L7's compare to her old gymmates.

Sounds like a tough meet! Glad she wasn't seriously injured from her fall.

And seriously--someone got a 4.7?? Wow!

So glad that no one was seriously injured during the falls on the bars. Wow, sounds like a lot of falls there. Those are some really tough scores it sounds like. A 4.7 bars? I kinda thought that judges had a "Mercy" score that they just stopped taking deductions at a certain point ( I had heard that they usually stop at 5.5 or 6), guess there was no Mercy here.
Your dd did very well for such tough scoring and taking a fall before competing! Way to go. Glad that a few CB gals could meet up, what fun! On to the next meet and better scoring.

Early meets tend to score lower than meets later in the season (at least in the region this meet takes place in), even accounting for the fact that the kids obviously improve over the course of several months. Also, this meet is in MD, where the scores tend to come up significantly lower than elsewhere in region 7.

A low score on bars could end up being from things like missing SRs. Once didn't finish a bar routine in L9 after a fall (got up, stopped, did a small cast single flyaway which was worthless at that point), and got about that low.

Christmas on The Chesapeke

This was our first meet of the season so I think our girls held their own with many teams that have already had states or regionals. my L5 DD pulled in two 4th place finishes on beam and floor. She has a long way to go, but we're so proud!

gymdad.blogspot.com

I found the bars scores to be consistently higher at this meet over the years (than in NJ)(this year younger daughter competed level 4) but the rest of the events always lower scoring than in NJ (especially vault!)

All in all a very nice but tough meet!

Glad that despite low scores, she still placed well! How scary about the bars. You would think they would investigate and try to fix that when girls are falling during warm-ups, etc. I thought others complained of slippery bars as well. Very scary.

And how fun to meet some CB friends!

Gymdadradioguy ~ I just read your blog and I agree with you. I'd love to know what goes on in the judges minds. I wish we could get some kind of feed back on the girls' performances. I know that's not realistic for it would probably take for ever but even some of our best girls got lower scores than usual. Oh, well, it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back