Parents Class time changing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessmomto2

Proud Parent
I do not know what to do with this situation with dd's class. She is in a developmental type class 2 days a week and it's only one class time as it's only five kids doing the class. The fall time for the classes was set for Monday and Thursday from 6-7 which was fine and worked great with our schedule. Well one mom was upset because she has one child on the team and one in this class and has to be at the gym for a long time with them going back to back. So she made a fuss after the first week and one of the coaches called all the parents asking if Monday at 5:00 and Thurday at 4:00 would work instead. Monday was still fine for us but Thursday not at all I just scored a coveted and impossible to get after school PT time for my son on Thursdays at 4:00. I told them this and they said they would get back to everyone if they were going to switch or not. I get an email the next day saying they are going to switch to the 5:00 and 4:00 times. When we went in today for dd to do open gym I asked the coach about it and he said well everyone else said that time worked fine so we are going to change it and your daughter can do one class with the group and can do a preschool class instead once a week as well if you can't do the Thursday time. This is so frustrating to me and preschool classes are completely different than the class she is in and she loves her class she is in now. I don't know what to do at this point and not sure if I should check out the hours of the other gym in town for the same class or what.

Honestly, if you love the gym for other reasons, then them switching one class time (after actually polling the entire class), isn't reason enough to switch. It sounds like your gym actually cares what works for families--this time it didn't work out for you, but at least they ask! I'd see if you can work out the timing at all so she can still make the new time.

While that is super frustrating I wouldn't switch gyms over it. As they progress in gymnastics the schedule will slowly take over your life, and I've never had say over the days/times. So while you might find a time that works well now at the other gym who knows what will happen when she moves to the next group and starts adding hours/days.

My main issue is that they gave us a time for the fall season and we have been there two years and it has always stayed the same until summer once they set it for the season. The reason it was changed is because one parent didn't want to be at the gym as long. I could see if the coach needed to change times for whatever reason but I feel like they are accommodating one parent and just telling us to deal with it.

If you're friends with any of the other moms, maybe they could bring your daughter to practice and you would be able to get there in time to pick her up.

While frustrating, training schedules seem to constantly change for a variety of reasons. Carpooling is definitely a good thought if it works out. Hopt it works out for you!

That would be so frustrating! So much, that I would complain (and I am not a complainer) about them changing it for 1 parent who could technically still make the other time, just didn't want to. it isn't fair to your dd. And with only 5 girls in the class … They could have changed on the day everyone could make the new time. But really, gyms should never change things for just 1 person. I don't know if it is switch-worthy, but to offer you a preschool class instead is not going to help your dd progress as a gymnast. Ask them for a better solution.

My main issue is that they gave us a time for the fall season and we have been there two years and it has always stayed the same until summer once they set it for the season. The reason it was changed is because one parent didn't want to be at the gym as long. I could see if the coach needed to change times for whatever reason but I feel like they are accommodating one parent and just telling us to deal with it.

It sounds like they didn't change the time for only one person - they polled the entire class and determined that the new times worked the best for the most people, right? Still super frustrating for you though I'm sure.

Yes, from what you said, they polled everyone and everyone else was okay with the change. So while they initiated the change based on one person's complaint, everyone else was fine with it. But if this is going to color your entire opinion of the gym, by all means look elsewhere. Just be aware that every gym has one issue or another--and the other gym's issue might be far harder to deal with ;-)

If I couldn't make it to 50% of the class time AFTER it had been started, and changed to a time I would never have signed up for, I would ask for 50% of my fee back as the gym has broken its contract of class time with you...whether or not they polled the others is irrelevant...you could never make half of the classes , and signing up for the alternate wasn't your choice either so I feel like they owe you your money back...and if they didn't make good on it, I probably would look at the alternatives in the area because she still at a class level.....

See, what I'm hearing (and maybe I'm wrong) is that the time change was fine for everyone else but not that it was better for everyone else. If original time is fine for everyone minus complainer and new time is fine for everyone minus OP, I'd feel like gym should stay with original time since that was the time when everyone signed up for and committed to the class. The complainer could have not signed up if she didn't like the times. In OP's situation, I would definitely feel like the gym valued complainer more than me (she has at least one other kid on team so this is probably true) and that would rub me the wrong way.

Complainer, as an experienced gym mom, should know that gym is when it is. Dd's gym has plenty of siblings on different levels of team who all have practices at various times. It comes with the territory, right?

That being said, if the gym has otherwise what you want, I guess I'd find a way to make it work. I am unhappy with dd's practice times this year and they don't work for us as a family, but we decided to try to make it work.

You are lucky they are giving you an alternative option! At our gym if you can't make it to bad. No class swapping here

See, what I'm hearing (and maybe I'm wrong) is that the time change was fine for everyone else but not that it was better for everyone else. If original time is fine for everyone minus complainer and new time is fine for everyone minus OP, I'd feel like gym should stay with original time since that was the time when everyone signed up for and committed to the class. The complainer could have not signed up if she didn't like the times. In OP's situation, I would definitely feel like the gym valued complainer more than me (she has at least one other kid on team so this is probably true) and that would rub me the wrong way.

Complainer, as an experienced gym mom, should know that gym is when it is. Dd's gym has plenty of siblings on different levels of team who all have practices at various times. It comes with the territory, right?

That being said, if the gym has otherwise what you want, I guess I'd find a way to make it work. I am unhappy with dd's practice times this year and they don't work for us as a family, but we decided to try to make it work.
This is how I understood it too. It does seem unfair.

Thank you all for the input I think another talk is in order. If this can't be changed I am going to try and figure something else out but carpooling would be difficult as it would have to be worked out for both ways since the gym is 20min away and my sons PT sessions are an hour long. There is also the issue that she is still in a car seat, I have a tiny kid who is almost but not quite 30 pounds, and it would be a lot to install a carseat for carpooling. Unfortunately the rec classes just feel like a waste of money to me now that she has been in this class for awhile and I know it would be hard for her since this class they condition and stretch a lot and focus a ton on form. The rec class does no conditioning and only basic stretches and is basically a way for toddlers to get their energy out. We are moving out of town in 3-6 months and will be at a new gym anyway so I guess it would be smart to stick it out no matter what goes the end result is until then.

Does the gym know you are moving? That is the only reason I can imagine them not thinking the change was a bad idea, if they saw you as just temporary.

No I wasn't going to bring it up until a month or two before because obviously they need some notice but I am not sure exactly when it will be so no reason to say anything yet with just tentative times.

Thank you all for the input I think another talk is in order. If this can't be changed I am going to try and figure something else out but carpooling would be difficult as it would have to be worked out for both ways since the gym is 20min away and my sons PT sessions are an hour long. There is also the issue that she is still in a car seat, I have a tiny kid who is almost but not quite 30 pounds, and it would be a lot to install a carseat for carpooling. Unfortunately the rec classes just feel like a waste of money to me now that she has been in this class for awhile and I know it would be hard for her since this class they condition and stretch a lot and focus a ton on form. The rec class does no conditioning and only basic stretches and is basically a way for toddlers to get their energy out. We are moving out of town in 3-6 months and will be at a new gym anyway so I guess it would be smart to stick it out no matter what goes the end result is until then.

This changes my opinion. Just wait it out. You may be back and decide this is the best option one day, it's not really even worth the extra time, effort, and fees to register at another gym for 3 months.

I do think the situation you describe is odd, but it's also possible the time switch was unrelated to the complainer. However, I don't think they should call and poll people. If there's a conflict, the gym needs to decide the schedule that works and tell people.. I would see it as a lack of leadership. But again at this age if the actual classes are safe and appropriate, it's not going to hurt to wait it out. I'd check the prices though, and make sure you aren't being charged more for a specialty class when you're doing a regular rec class the second day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back