WAG Coach brag!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can
Can I ask how long your conditioning program takes? It just looks a lot and I was wondering about the balance with learning skills?

There's a gym here with suberbly conditioned girls, who rarely compete above l6-ish. Went to see a practice and in a 3 hr session an hour was used doing warm ups, basic skills and dance elements. An hour conditioning (at least), meant the girls got about 40 mins actually training apparatus. Which explained their low skill levels.
I can't speak for Aero, but for my girls I give them conditioning to do as side stations on an event. We have limited equipment and time, so not every kid can be working on an event at the same time- especially on vault or bars. So I will give them a list written on a white board of what needs to be done between turns, or set up specific conditioning stations they rotate to after a turn. Somedays we only have 1 bar for a group of 7ish girls, so we need to get creative to keep them from standing in line or goofing around.
About 30-45 minutes of each of our 90min. practices is spent on flexibility and conditioning, though it does help with skill acquisition when they are stronger and more physically prepared.

Try having her work on dips that finish in the compressed pike position similar to the snip below. Concentrate on rounded low back and shoulders (for stability/consistency during presses) at the end of the lift into the pike. The lift motion can start as early during the dip as she's able as long as her head stays tucked in and her shoulder blades are rounding with her shoulders.

She's gonna be a beast because of your diligent efforts and..... well..... some kids just have that in them.
I'm having trouble picturing what you mean exactly. Where would she do these dips? Paralettes? I know exactly what you mean about keeping the round shape in the back and not tilting the hips the wrong way during the hip opening from the pike, as that's what I noticed could be better in the video. I just can't picture how these dips would work. Can you elaborate further? They sound like a good thing to add to the skill specific third day of conditioning!
Can I ask how long your conditioning program takes? It just looks a lot and I was wondering about the balance with learning skills?

There's a gym here with suberbly conditioned girls, who rarely compete above l6-ish. Went to see a practice and in a 3 hr session an hour was used doing warm ups, basic skills and dance elements. An hour conditioning (at least), meant the girls got about 40 mins actually training apparatus. Which explained their low skill levels.
Day 1 takes about an hour and fifteen minutes, day 2 takes about forty five minutes, and the day 3 conditioning takes as long as it takes all the other girls to finish their lists. Something that may not be clear is that the conditioning I posted is only for two girls (Giada and Rachelle). the other nine girls on the team are grouped into similar strength levels with their own lists which are tailor made to their strength ability. The lists are all very similar, just with different numbers of reps, and a couple exercises that are different. The easiest conditioning list takes about forty five minutes to complete, as opposed to the hour and fifteen minute list the two advanced girls have. The other nine girls also come six hours a week, instead of the nine hours a week these two girls do. Gymnasts are not equal in their progression, so as they progress in strength, flexibility, and skills I have to continue to challenge them. Giada and Rachelle started team at the same time as all the other girls, and looking at where they are now compared to the others clearly shows their work ethic and ability. Why hold them back for the sake of uniformity?

As far as the gym you described, I can't say I agree with that schedule. I usually only do a fifteen minute warm up, twenty at most. I can't see why an hour long warm up is necessary. We usually get to two events per practice, with about forty minutes at each. Sometimes I break up the practice in to three events. In fact, last week, I devoted the entire hour and a half of event time to back handsprings. I usually plan the practices around what we need most. However, I never sacrifice conditioning. To me, it is incredibly important. That gym you mentioned... how many of them appeared injured, or were wearing braces? My guess is not many, if any. What I want to know is how were their body shapes and form in their skills?
Aero,
Thank you for being an example of a humble, caring, eager-to-learn coach. I think most of the greats started this way...and by "greats" I refer to their coaching, AND their lasting influence on young gymnasts as people.
Thank you so much for the kind words. That means a lot to me. I put a lot of effort into my coaching and I really love it, and while it can sometimes be a thankless job, I know I am appreciated every time I look into their sweet faces.

I'm having trouble picturing what you mean exactly. Where would she do these dips? Paralettes? I

Men's p-bars would be best, but you outta be able to modify the exercise to suit what you have on hand. A similar exercise would be a military push-up into the compressed pike. Those can be done at differing start angles, to nullify stronger muscle groups or aid weaker muscle groups, by putting the gymnast between two mat stacks.... or with feet resting/sliding on a raised surface.

Muuuuwahaaaaaaahhahhhahhhah!!!!:eek::eek:

Be patient and start slow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back