Coaches Coach to athlete ratios

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gralch1

Coach
We are "restructuring"
Change is good, change is good, change is good I keep telling myself
For compulsory level 3,4,5 what are your coach to athlete ratios?
Right now we are at about 8 to 1 but may have to increase numbers.
How do you feel about training level 4-5 in one group?
Thanks

I think level 4-5 compulsory levels training together is a good fit and common practice. We come from a new club in a small town. By default, our motto right now is "better to be under-staffed than poorly staffed." With that said, our current ratios are:
Level 3: 12:1
Level 4: 5:1
Level 5-8: 8:1
I find the 12:1 ratio rather large, especially at level 3 and on my event, bars. I would love to have more hands on time with these girls for kips and cast to handstands. However, there are reportedly larger ratios than this in our state.

I would love to hear from others on this too. I just can't see a quality program having huge ratios, especially at the lower compulsory levels. But maybe I'm a little skewed in my thinking based upon what I've experienced in the past.

I have 9-10:1 for level 4s right now, 8 that are competing, two that are training. Next year I'll have the same kids so same ratio but 6 will be 6s and 4 will be 4s. Our level 6-10 group has 15 kids and 4 coaches, so about 4:1. I'd rather have a high ratio in compulsories than optionals.

We are based on 8:1. Now I may have one group at 10:1 and another at 6:1...that still turns out to be 8:1.

Well for my boys it is...

Level 3 - 6:1
Level 4 - 4:1
Level 5 - 1:1 (We just got our first kid moved up)

For boys I try to keep the ratios tight and try to have a higher amount of coaches because it seems that boys are more apt to almost being killed by handsprings; then again you could be referencing girls and my opinion would then have limited merit. Also, ultimately these ratios are decided by the boss I only have my limited powers of persuasion. Hope this helps! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back