WAG Coaches doing conditioning with their gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

NinjaMeals

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
I was coaching level 3 yesterday and the conditioning was especially brutal, so one of my students called out "you should have to do it with us!" I have always disliked watching them struggle while I bark orders, so I almost joined in on conditioning. However, none of the other coaches at my gym do this and neither did my coaches when I was growing up. I am curious to hear the opinions of parents and other coaches.

I absolutely had coaches do conditioning with us. At one of my gyms one coach even did the burpee-back tucks with the optional. When I coached I would do the easier conditioning with the girls - just didn't want to get all sweaty.

The coaches at my DD's gym will jump in occasionally but not every time, mostly when it's a partner workout and they have odd numbers. Hard to laterally toss a medicine ball to yourself kind of thing.

When I’m feeling strong and energized, I join in. I personally like doing conditioning, so I see it as a job perk. There’s also the practical consideration that my job is a physically demanding job (setting up equipment, spotting, etc), and my athletes are safer when I am in good physical health.

When I was a gymnast, I liked when my coaches “showed off” with their superhuman strength. It helped me contextualize my gymnastics experience. One person’s struggle is another person’s walk-in-the-park. For me, it was humbling and inspiring to watch other people do things that I could not (yet) do.

Depending on the exercise and coaches, they will join in. Out of all of my coaches, I can only think of two or three who join in from time to time (they are all women in their 20s)

Absolutely, I used to join in when I was coaching.

As a parent, I prefer the coach to be watching the kids condition so they can correct form, monitor effort, etc.; however, I could see where it would be fun for the kids to have the coach join in. It wouldn’t bother me as long as it was only occasionally.

Every now and then I would do a couple of things back in the day... now I'm too old for that.

I prefer the coach to be watching the kids condition so they can correct form, monitor effort, etc.

Overall... I agree with the above statement.

Different sports but used to play LAX and my coach used to run with us and I found it a good thing because the couch was in the trenches with us and it added a sense respect between coaches and athletes. I also thought it added a layer of authenticity to show the coach walked the walk and talked the talk. Later in life I would condition with the kids I coached in soccer.
I would not have an issue if I saw coaches training and conditioning bc it may encourage them and create a good natured atmosphere if done the right way.

Our optional coach will join in sometimes, but with girls who have been training for years and know the exercises. Younger and lesser experienced gymnasts really should be monitored for safety and form, and I don’t see how that can be easily done if the coach is working out too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back