WAG coaches: single bars releases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I was watching the Nastia cup videos last night and noticed a lot of the girls doing jaegers on bars. It got me thinking. What goes into the decision to train one release over other ones? I have seen clubs and lower ranked college teams where almost all the girls have the same release. Usually a Jaeger. Is this just because it is an easier release? (And I know the term 'easier' is relative - they are all hard) Is there a hierarchy for releases, in terms of how difficult they are to train or is it really more with how the gymnast swings and flies?

There are many factors that go into deciding which release to teach. Usually the biggest factor is shoulder flexibility. Tight shoulders restrict tkatchevs and to some degree, jaegers. Kids with good taps can learn geingers fairly easily. However, the history of the athlete goes into play with that. I've got a kid that does a beautiful double layout and has a great tap. But she has a fear of single flyaways. The geinger would be huge but she'll never be comfortable with it and would probably change her dismount. Some coaches are more comfortable with teaching certain releases. As a coach, you have skills that you understand really well. A lot of coaches will always try those skills first.

Also, in JO the Jeager fulfills two requirements, the release and the front element. So you will see a lot of them. Although the front element deduction is small .05 in JO, but still a deduction. And the Jeager also has built in bonus, C+D. As far as picking them,,, well with the Jeager, can they do a blind or cal hop to front giant, yes or no. Simple. The Geinger, do they have a good flyaway, yes or no. the Techachev is a different animal and has a very large family, (Ray, hindorf, Stalder ray etc...) Just totally depends on the kid and skill sets. The Shaposh family also depends on the skill set of circling elements, do they have a banging toe shoot, or free hip? And lastly if I have a kid who cannot do any of these or is not a candidate I teach them a delchev. :)

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense about flexibility, other skills that would make one easier than others. Just watching Utah and almost all had some form of tkachevs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back