WAG coaching credentials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

no, that is correct. coachmolly may not be aware that many of us were prorated to 7/31. and she may not be aware that USAG opened the registration early this year. so as she stated, it is correct if USAG had not opened it early. this is what happened in previous years so she is basing it on that. yes, you can do it now cause they opened it now for 14/15. everyone, including athletes expires 7/31. it is 7/31 from here on out so that everyone, including athletes expires at the same time. that will not change. that is new from the open registration year round they previously had. so if you decide to do it NOW you are good for the 14/15 season. if you do NOT decide to do it now you expire 7/31 and had better renew shortly thereafter. as a coach, you wouldn't be able to be on the floor of Championships in August without it. understand?

to clarify previous registration, you expired 1 year from the date you registered. before, you could register any time of year. this was time consuming for National Office. last year, they began shifting all of us to a 7/31 expiration. for example, my month was January. it was January because that is the month (can't remember the year, maybe 1985?) when the Professional Program with Safety Cert began, when January rolled around this year, National Office prorated my membership and to expire 7/31. i was charged a 7 month prorated membership fee. Safety Cert has always been every 4 years and Background checks have always been 2 years and those will expire according to when you took those tests and when you were were background checked.

going forward, if you are new, your membership expires 7/31 along with everyone else. your background check will then be 7/31 expiring every 2 years. and your safety cert 7/31 expiring every 4 years. if you're new your expiration will always fall on 7/31.

additionally, and for example, my membership will now expire 7/31. but my safety cert is 12/31/14. i must take my exam before then. my safety cert will always expire 12/31 every 4 years. my background expires 7/31. this is because they began this program for everyone 7/31 expiration beginning in 2010 because they knew then we all would be switching to a 7/31 expiration. i suppose at some point, they too will take old timer safety certs and just move us forward. no way to prorate this metric. and i don't believe they have even discussed it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bunch of forms printed out, I want to make sure I do this right.

1) Member Club Application. We do have a member number because we have a new boys power tumbling team that was set up several months ago. This will need to be renewed annually, yes? Is it the full $160 every year?

2) Professional Membership Application. $89 for me and $89 for my coworker because we will both be coaching on the floor. Does this include the background check or is that a separate charge?

3) Introductory Athlete Membership Application. All my girls will need to fill this out with $20 for XCEL.

4) U100 - Safety Cert. I printed the form, but I can't figure out how you do the course online. $70

So, $160+$89+$89+$70+$70=$478. The girls will be taken care of by their parents. Am I missing anything? Do I have to wait to get the professional membership application processed before doing the safety cert?

1) yes
2)basic background check is $21.25 (can be small extra charges if you have lived in multiple states)
3)yes
4)U100 and safety (calledU101) are two separate courses. U100 is done online and is free for professional members, safety(U101) is $65 and can be done online or live, usually offered at regional/national congress.

I believe you need to do pay the membership fee and register first, then you will get log in information that will allow you to access the online courses. You can't register for these without signing in to the USAG website.

For the athletes, some states require a separate Athlete fee, in addition to the USAG fee. Mine is one that does, so check with your state chair.

1) yes
2)basic background check is $21.25 (can be small extra charges if you have lived in multiple states)
3)yes
4)U100 and safety (calledU101) are two separate courses. U100 is done online and is free for professional members, safety(U101) is $65 and can be done online or live, usually offered at regional/national congress.

I believe you need to do pay the membership fee and register first, then you will get log in information that will allow you to access the online courses. You can't register for these without signing in to the USAG website.

this in bold is correct.

Certain states require payment of an additional annual Athlete Registration fee on top of the USAG Athlete Membership. My state is one that does this. It is $12. Not sure if other states do it as well.
Mine does too. It's $10 per athlete competing at a level that holds state championships.

Certain states require payment of an additional annual Athlete Registration fee on top of the USAG Athlete Membership. My state is one that does this. It is $12. Not sure if other states do it as well.

wait...does the parent, club, etc; pay that to your State Board? or...who pays the money to who?

The club pays our state association. There is a yearly membership fee for the club to be a voting member of the association(currently $100) and a per athlete fee of $10 for each athlete competing at a level that has state championships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back