Coaching ethics and policy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymmie7

I worked at our home meet yesterday and had a chance to see and talk to old friends and coaches of my older DD when she was in gymnastics. For the third time, I heard a coaching duo she trainned under are heavy drinkers and even came to level 10 State meet drunk last year. Why isn't anything done to these 'drunkards' if the allegations are true? The coach who told me about this yesterday is a very well respected coach and owner of a great gym in my state. I don't think he would talk about this if it weren't true. I am concerned because the coaches in question are still coaching. Their only level 10 is once again injured and has been hurt twice since the summer. My older DD goes to the same HS with the level 10 gymnast and just told me about a week ago of the second injury.
A very talkative gymnast from little DD's gym mentioned the first injury one summer day at the gym. She said that at a camp she attended a gymnast came down hard on the bars and slammed her forehead against the high bar. Even though she had a knot on her head as big as a golf ball, her coach would not let her stop. After inquiring who it was, she stated it was that level 10 and the coach was one half of the drunken duo! Can't something be done to revoke their coaching status/license what ever, so they can't hurt another child in their drunken stupor? A parent would be imprisoned for less now a days. It's severe neglect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is a real problem, then sure something should be done. Drinking and driving is illegal and people do it everyday, they are not all caught.

Is there proof that this is true? Sounds like a lot of rumors and hearsay.

I know many individuals that enjoy a drink now and then.

EDIT: To answer the question, whoever is witnessing the behavior should do something about it. Report it to the meet referee or your state director.

Last edited:
The coach who I taked to yesterday is well known by Dunno, and Dunno himself has commented to me how well respected this individual is in the gymnastics world.
The gymnast who witnessed the bar incident at the camp had nothing to gain by telling the story. She was talking to her mom who works at the gym with a few girls from team around her. It sounded like she was in amazement and shocked.
I think what I will do is call the coach that told me this information and ask him what can be done/has been done, etc. Perhaps if Dunno reads this he can also tell me what to do.
Because I was at the meet and working I didn't go into full detail with the other coach. Warmups were going on at the time, and I was also making sure gymnasts/coaches were where they were supposed to be etc.
I am not the kind of person that goes on hearsay. The coach I heard this from I do really trust. He has never given me any reason not to. The feeling in my gut since hearing these allegations have made me very uneasy. I would hope this weren't true, but look at how many children are hurt/killed daily by parents/adults that no one had a clue could ever do such a thing. My children are far too precious to me and I would hope someone out there would do all they could to ensure their safety if they ever knew anything harmful was in their mist.

If it is a real problem, then sure something should be done. Drinking and driving is illegal and people do it everyday, they are not all caught.

Is there proof that this is true?

yes, there was.

Sounds like a lot of rumors and hearsay.

it is true.

I know many individuals that enjoy a drink now and then.

EDIT: To answer the question, whoever is witnessing the behavior should do something about it.

they did.

Report it to the meet referee or your state director.

it was.

they received a reprimand/warning from usag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dunno. I hope they are heeding that advice for their gymnasts sake! It makes me sick to think about this.

Interesting...thanks dunno.

I don't know the specific coaches in question, but here are my thoughts on the issue in general:

I have no objections to coaches enjoying a drink or two outside of the gym. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they like outside the gym as long as it doesn't affect what happens in the gym.

But showing up to coach drunk? That, to me, is a firing offense. No three strikes, no second chances, if you show up at the gym intoxicated, you cannot be trusted as a coach.

[/my 2 cents]

I don't know the specific coaches in question, but here are my thoughts on the issue in general:

I have no objections to coaches enjoying a drink or two outside of the gym. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they like outside the gym as long as it doesn't affect what happens in the gym.

But showing up to coach drunk? That, to me, is a firing offense. No three strikes, no second chances, if you show up at the gym intoxicated, you cannot be trusted as a coach.

[/my 2 cents]

That is my belief as well GT. I know how people on here tend to get heated about certain issues and a thread just grows and grows and grows until it gets out of hand. That is not my intention when I posted. What I strongly desire are concrete steps to take to contact WHOEVER I need to contact to get them removed from their position. I have heard many, many, terrible things about them. I have personally experienced their mess when my DD was with them. When I pulled her from them, I wrote a long and extensive letter to USAG at that time, but never heard back a word.
In my book, enough is enough. At this point, I have messaged Dunno, and I believe he/she will lead me in the right direction. If anybody has any comments please message me instead of posting here. I do not want to incite the masses. Like everyone else, I felt the need to post my question. I am quickly realizing that DUNNO may well be the Guru of all knowledge here. I hope I haven't offended anyone. THANK YOU! If possible, maybe this thread should be locked.

[/my 2 cents]

Yes...agreed. I have actually fired someone on the spot for drinking at work...on gym property...5 minutes before a class. The moral of the story...background checks and references only go so far. Just do what is right when you witness something that is wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News