Parents Coming clean.....I bribed her

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thought I would share a last years story with you guys. Last year at the beginning of L4 Sam and I were talking about a team mates older sister. She had just gotton a cell phone (7th grade) and Sam was curious as to when she might get one. She then followed with several reasons why she probably needed one now. I told her she could have one at the same age I got my first one. That really wasn't the answer she wanted.

My next suggestion was and off the cuff remark that if she took first in all her meets I'd get her one. Knowing that was going to be really tough to pull off, she immediately countered with "what if I win the State Championship?"
Answering back without thinking I said "sure" winning the AA at State compulsary will get you a phone. After thinking about it I attached some strings. If she told her mom, sister, team or anyone at school about it the deal was off. Keep in mind this was during Sept. and the state was not until Dec. Long time for an 8yo to keep a secret.

Fast forward to the state meet. I was unable to attend as her sister and I had other committments, but we followed alog via live scoring (a completely nerve wracking way to follow along). Sure enough a 38.875 AA did the job. After awards they were all walking out (moms and girls) and Sam borrowed her mom's phone to call and tell me the news. She was whispering when she asked "do you think maybe I earned something?". I told her we would look the following day.

She got her purple razor a couple of weeks later and was added to my wifes plan. March of this year was the Prep-Op state championships and an AA 38.5 (1st) got her text messeging.

She just asked on the way home from the first meet this year if I wanted to bet on this years state. She says she has really been wanting a dirt bike. She cracks me up.

No real reason for this story. Just thought I would share.

It's amazing what a "bribe" can do. We were told about a level 8 who was having trouble on beam. at a meet her grandpa yelled out to her that if she stuck the routine he'd give $300 - guess who stuck that beam routine?

another story - a level 5 was very close to her kips but just could not get them. Mom offered $25 for each kip and had to pay up $50 after the next meet because her gymmie did both low bar and high bar kips like she'd been doing them for years!

Wow, she definately wanted that phone huh? That is a great score also!! Maybe I should dangle that carrot as well. My DD is going to be 10 and has been after me to get a cell phone for some time now. Bribery is always welcomed at my house! Whatever works IMO. Way to go, State Champ AND a cell phone! Sounds like a win win!! I might have to draw the line at the dirt bike though. LOL!

I am not sure I would qualify that as a bribe. That sounds more like throwing something out there not really thinking you'll have to do what you threw out there !!

To me a bribe is to get them to do something they are not self motivated to do.

But, on the other hand - I think she's got you're # now !!!

One of the other L3 girls on our team got bribed. I think it was $5 for each event she placed in the top 3 and a bonus $10 for placing top 3 in AA. That was for the last 'fun' meet I posted about a few weeks back.

They were mortified when she announced it to the whole team, and everyone sitting nearby, just before the meet.

She got 1 1st, 3 2nds, and 2nd AA.

So far I haven't had to bribe Midget, but I fully expect and plan to at some point. But we will call it a reward, yeah that's it.

LOL! I'd be careful about what you bet with her! This story reminds me of my friend whose dd competed L4 a couple of years ago. she asked her mom if she could get her ears pierced if she won L4 state. Bear in mind, she had had a good year but hadn't won everything in sight by any stretch. In addition, she turned 7 on the day of the State meet so had to compete as a 7 year old. Well darned if she didn't win L4 state and score a 9.9 on bars!

Meg

I am a crappy dad. I don't bride nor offer incentitve for my kids to do what they should be doing -- trying their best, whatever that may be. The achievement and extraordinary proud feeling is their reward. Their chance to experience life more than most kids their age is their reward.

With that said, I do throw in celebrations (the tangible kind that goes beyond just feeling it) or occasionally a token or two when they really deserve it. Wife OTOH is far easer.

Cute story and a reminder to me to be careful about what I say. I just might have to follow through like you did. I like to offer spontaneous rewards for great attitudes in a crummy situation or when I see someone going the extra mile for someone else.

After a meet last season we were on the way to dinner when DW tells me that I need to stop at the store first. DW and DD were all giggly and they returned with a small bag. As I am always the last to know, it wasn't until later that evening that I found out about the bribe. Seems DW had agreed to let DD shave her legs if she ever got above a 9.3 or more on vault as a L6. The funny thing is, DW thought she was making a safe bet that could never be collected on:rolleyes:

Holy crap, I am not letting my kids read this thread, they'll realise how evil I am. My idea of a bribe is "if you roll your eyes at me agin I'll erase your hard drive"!

Seriously though my kids think ice cream after the meet is awesome, and if any of you nut jobs tell tham any different you're BANNED!!!!!! Bwahahaha

Yeah sure Bog, but you forgot to mention that it's like 600 miles to the nearest ice cream store:D:D:D

Holy crap, I am not letting my kids read this thread, they'll realise how evil I am. My idea of a bribe is "if you roll your eyes at me agin I'll erase your hard drive"!

Seriously though my kids think ice cream after the meet is awesome, and if any of you nut jobs tell tham any different you're BANNED!!!!!! Bwahahaha

LMAO !!!

Consider my mouth shut !! Sure don't want Bog to ban me : )

Holy crap!!! I've heard of bribing for cell phones and electronics equipment but shaving legs??? Doesn't she realize that she will HATE having to shave all the time when she gets older? LOL Shaving is only fun the first time then it becomes a dreaded necesity!! Hahaha! If I could only bribe Dani with letting her vacuum and cleaning the bathroom!!! :laughing::rotfl:

Bribes, incentives, rewards, call them what you will, they can have unexpected consequences. When dd was 9 or 10 she begged for a puppy. Dw told her when she made L9 nationals she could have a puppy. Last Spring, dd now 16, driving back from Maryland and L9 Eastern nationals, dd said "I want my puppy now". So be careful what you promise; it may comeback to haunt you. We have the cutest little Yorkie now.

OOOPS - the L9 Easterns in Maryland was 2 years ago - Mississippi last year - the 'puppy' is going on 3 years old -My how time flies

Sam- You're not the first to resort to bribery; you won't be the last. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back